This is my proposed setup for my carPC:

$190 Epia mII10000
    $208 kingston 1 gig ram 184 pin ecc registered
    $190 western digi sata 250gig
    FREEBIE smaller hard drive: probably 20 gig for OS and programs
    $12 iogear usb 2.0 4 port hub
    $60 netgear 108 mbps wireless usb 2.0 network adapter
    $95 morex venus 668
    $102 panasonic cw-8124b slimline cd r/rw and dvd rom w/ slimline to ide cable
    $399 xenarc 700tsv black
    $150 opus 150 watt

i plan on using iNAV2.1 from iguidance when it comes out and using their gps receivers. i'm not sure what front engine i'm gonna use. I think the more popular ones are mediaengine, frodoplayer, and centrafuse.

there is a power supply in the morex case, but i plan on taking that out. i have not read any reviews on the front engines and if there is one, can you please point me to it. i have been wanting to do this for about 1.5 years and am finally planning on going through with it.

forgot to mention this is going into a 2001 bmw m3 coupe.

Comment

Too much ram.
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

so 512 mb ram is enough? i just figured the more the better.

Comment

Yes, 512 is enough.

Also where are you getting the opus 150w for only $150 from?
          Installed
          Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
          512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
          Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
          [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
            Also where are you getting the opus 150w for only $150 from?
            Used

Also, might check if people are having problems with the iogear hub.
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I've only got 256 mb of ram and want more. GO 512
              2.4 celeron
              150 watt OPUS
              micro atx
              xp pro
              tv/radio tuner card
              audigy
              Dual monitor Radeon
              802.11G Mimo
              xm pcr
              dvd
              gps
              8" Lilliput touch screen
              IGuidance
              dual optimas
              battery isolator
              15" screen
              My Truck

Comment

512 is a good number, the reason is the more you have the longer it takes to hibernate. Unless you are going to use your Carputer to design scenes from the next shrek movie 512 is enough.
                My Install

Software:
                CFiG v1
                iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Originally posted by alti
                  512 is a good number, the reason is the more you have the longer it takes to hibernate. Unless you are going to use your Carputer to design scenes from the next shrek movie 512 is enough.
                  Or to program

The thing with the VIA is that if you will be doing something that requires a gig of ram, then the motherboard is definately not for you.
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

i have just heard that you can never have too much ram, but i never had anything more than 128 mb ram in a dell laptop and that thing was always slow and in my desktops i have only had 256 mb and they are all at least 2 years old. i just figured that the best ways to improve performance are faster chips and more ram and the ram is more bang for the buck.

Comment

Yes, that's generally true. But the hibernate issue is one you want to watch for. I've got 512mb with the same Epia you're planning on using and it's fine. But it takes awhile to hibernate and resume. If I had double that, it would take longer.

The Epia's no speed champ but it does just fine for the car. No need to overpurchase the RAM if you don't need to.

Also, do you need 250 gigs for the hard drive? You can save some $$ if you go a bit smaller, particularly if you're using the freebie drive for the OS. Looks like your system cost is clocking in at $1400 before software.

I also noted that you haven't budgeted for a keyboard and mouse. You may not be planning to have one with the touchscreen and all, but just mentioning it.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Me too. Too much RAM 256 is okay but 512 is perfect for carPC use especially you only use a few apps at the same time.
                        You don't need 2 HD. Just buy one big one and partition it into 2: one big for media, and one small for OS and apps. Keep in mine that the PSU is limitted on it output. 150W is plenty of power for the VIA, but there are other devices as well.
                        You don't really need a USB hub unless you are running more devices than the number of USB port the mobo provides.
                        If you really want performance, go with AMD mobile CPU base.
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

If you're going for the MII, why not go the whole hog and get the 12000?

: Jetway J7F2 1.5Ghz Mainboard : Cubid 3688 : CarNetix CNX-P1260 :
                          : Netgear 802.11g PCMCIA : 2 x LinITX 7" Screens :
                          : BU353 USB GPS Mouse : Panasonic UJ845 DVDRW :

Comment

BTW. I did not know M-II has SATA interface, so either I miss your PCI SATA host adapter, or you miss piece of puzzle. Also, ECC memory will not work with M-II.
                            Despite what the others say here, I think 256 MB of RAM is more then enogh, if you plan to take care of your OS setup a bit (assuming you want to run WinXP). For WinME, 128MB is just perfect, so for decent Linux install.

Comment

Sounds like a bit of an overkill, have you put much thought into what you are going to be storing on there, for example someone who wants to rip a lot of DVDs and store divx movies could easily use 70Gb to store 100 movies.

But are you going to be using it for movies as your plan includes a DVD drive already so straight away you can save yourself nearly $200 by not going for the super huge 250gb HDD, you will never fill that up with music, You are including a CD and DVD drive, why not get a DVD RW and scrap the CD-RW

The RAM as everyone says is correct 1GB ram is a little too much for this application
                              www.streetrace.co.uk - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

Comment

Working...
                              X