Desktop LCD montior as a display?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop LCD montior as a display?

so...I bet thousands of newbs have already asked this and I just typed in a stupid search parameter, but why spend upwards of 300 bones on a display when you could just get a $150 desktop VGA 15" moniter and a touchscreen kit? any reason that doesn't work? Only thing I could come up with would be power drain, but that's a complete guess since I don't know electrical situations at all. Anyways, it'd be nice if it all worked out, save me some money and plus I could easily fit 15 inches of viewing power in my truck--it'd be sweet.

thanks

(HA!! joke's on you all!!! you CANT give me the search icon!!! I already did search...even if I might suck at it...sigh )
    Carputer Status:

|----[---------] negative 10% complete...Still fathoming how this might possible work in my F-150...it will work!!!

(HA!! joke's on you all!!! you CANT give me the search icon!!! I already did search...even if I might suck at it...sigh )
    I was going to help till read this smart *** comment
    I had a perfect quote to go here,
    but hell only knows what I did with it....

Comment

Im sure someones done it... some more! You can do it too, if you put your mind to it!
      Carputer status: [-*---------]
      Im thinking laptop...

Comment

you serious? that's just my sense of humor--sry for offending you with it, I was trying to lighten the mood since i know i just missed the thread with it talked about
        Carputer Status:

|----[---------] negative 10% complete...Still fathoming how this might possible work in my F-150...it will work!!!

Comment

Try to fit a 15" in an Honda Civic ...

There is also power issue
          Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
          Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
          Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

EDIT:
            Sorry for being an ***, i just got crappy news and im in a "screw the world" type of mood...im gonna go do some codeing and be nice...

as far as the regular LCD:
            It doesnt look as good, not as OEM so to speak...just and some more...
            plus some good small touchscreens that are made for in car computing are easier (not perfect) to see in the daylight...try taking your LCD outside in the sun and reading it...
            I had a perfect quote to go here,
            but hell only knows what I did with it....

Comment

Hey Linuxguy, I've got a 1994 ranger. Have you started on yours yet?
              I haven't seen alot of ranger owners on here, so i was curious how yours is going...
              Blind Willy
              Network Janitor for the visually challenged
              www.blindwilly.com
              '94 Ford Ranger
              1% complete. (I'm still planning it out)

Comment

I'd think brightness would be a problem. You need a minimum of around 300 nits to do well in a car. You can tint the windows to help with that, though. If you're looking at a desktop screen, see what you can do to compare the brightness and contrast specs with a Lilliput or Xenarc.

Most people don't use desktops because they're too large. The 7" screens are popular because you can get them into a double din slot if you work at it.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I'm going with a custom install that involves not hacking the dash - and this is my solution I'm going for. For the extra size/cash, I'll work without a touchscreen. Look on ebay - you'll find some for $125

Comment

Beison, have you gotten anywhere with your research, I am trying to do the same thing.

My intention is just to have a PS2 and desktop LCD in my car, but the problem is that the desktop LCDs do not have a video-in input. So I'm thinking if you can get around that problem then you have little to no problems thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                    X