Ribbon Cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbon Cable

Hi I have chopped up my lilliput and installed it into my double din slot. However I would like to place the buttons about 4 feet away from the screen. Is there anyway to extend the little ribbon cable to the little board with the buttons? I am sorry but I am a newb and I'm guessing that you can just solder the cable to individual wires, so i just want a little guidence before I mess anything up. Thanks!
    Volvo 850 GLT

or just buy another ribbon cable from armen and do a really good job of taping the contacts together. We're in the newbie forum here :P
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

The second idea sounds good to me. I'm going to look for one right now. Thanks a lot for the help .
      Volvo 850 GLT

Comment

The second idea will not work as well as the first - it will probably come apart with time. the first idea seems like more work - but it's not.

Chop that cable right in the middle. Now heat the ends up, so the plastic melts away. youre left with a few wire strands sticking out - just solder them up to a longer length of wire, between the other end. If you mess anything up you only spent a few bucks, and you can just order a new cable from armen anyways.

Comment

Dr. H:
          Thanks, I'm always one for the cheap route.

Let's say that Armen's cables are $20.

Radioshack sells a soddering iron, which willl last a long time for $15, and dollarland sells wire for $1. Well, you could spend $4 less, and come out of this withg some spare wire and a soddering iron (plus some basic soddering skills).

Comment

ok, but armens cables are 6 dollars as i recall.....
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I have no experence soldering, but I may be able to get help from one of the TV aides at school. Would you recommend that route?
              Volvo 850 GLT

Comment

I'm a TV aide at school, and frankly those guys knwo nothing. You can try - but you should try to learn it's good practice, honest.

@Sonic: $6? Not bad. However still a bad diea for anyhting toher than testing

Comment

if you know what the hot end of a soldering iron, and solder is you'll be fine. Soldering isn't an art when it comes to getting two wires to stick to each-other ... just go for it and get the practice. It will come in handy later on :-)
                  '03 BMW 320d (E46)
                  Carputer progress : [#----------]
                  Gathering information ... currently using my phone connected through BT as carputer
                  '99 BMW Z3 coupe 2.8
                  Carputer progress : [-----------]
                  No work done yet

Comment

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to do this?
                    Volvo 850 GLT

Comment

OK I tried the soldering bit, it is too hard to solder such a small ribbon cable. Does anyone know where to order a new 13 conductor ribbon as I have destroyed my old one and would like one in the 5' range.
                      Volvo 850 GLT

Comment

yes...actually i do... go to my website listed in my profile and you will find the exact route to the 6 foot ribbon cable you are looking for. I did something similar in my red 94 volvo 850
                        Stage: Planning
                        Car: 2005 Scion tC

Comment

Working...
                        X