Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpc for the poor... :/

Hi people!
    Ive been browsing alot in this forum. I want to build a car pc that wont be too much pricy (I live in israel and stuff here cost double).

I work on this project with my dad and he reccommended me to use a linux os and a bunch of software like GPS, music library and stuff u know that matches linux. They are free!

However, since neither he and me dont know how to mess with linux (and we tried hard many times) and i dont know if theres a software available for what i want in the carpc we are in a problem...

Can you mighty carputer users and builders help me out?
    If you know something about these types of programs or if you have any cheap alternatives that i can use with windows i would be happy to hear about'em!

Thanks alot!
    ziv

Well all the frontends that are offered on this forum are free, the all play your music, play dvd, gps (you still have to purchase the gps software), etc. check them out. There are even a few frontends for linux as well.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Why did your Dad suggest Linux if he doesn't even know how to install it? All of the frontends in the frontend section of this forum are free. You are going to have much less selection using Linux. GPS on Linux is going to be even worse. Note: I'm not trying to discourage you from using Linux.
      The hardware is going to be the expensive part of your install.
      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Most of the frontends will manage to work under Windows '98.

Comment

Originally posted by UK_MP3Car
          Most of the frontends will manage to work under Windows '98.
          thats good! no need for xp... means much more space...
          but 98 is quite old os... will it work with all the other things?

About the linux issue... i know its a very limited system to use on a car pc... but i thought that you might have some suggestions on programs for it. By the way theres a software called gpsdrive for linux- free of charge and as far as i know it works on a car pc! the problem is i dont have a clue how to install it...
          My dad told me to try linux as a challange... and i guess its a too big challange for me...

Just to mention that i really really really like all the fronends here!!! such a good job! may god bless you!

Comment

Not everything, Centrafuse and PhoneControl won't work on 98 and I don't think all the GPS Software work properly under 98.

The best advice I can give is, do some reading, take a look at the websites for the various software you would like to use then make a decision.

Windows XP can be installed in under 300Meg using nLite, take a look at nuhi.msfn.org for details or the System Optimisation forum under Software and Software Development on this forum.

Comment

k

I would go for the mac setup since the mac mini is cheap and comes with a 40 gig hd. the only thing is--is that its hard to find a good front end for mac but I heard that things will change when the front end idash comes out.

Comment

I'm not interested in mac but thanks anyway! i use itunes alot though.

to UK_MP3Car: I am quite past the reading and browsing level... now i need tips and suggestions from people who built a car pc similar to what im planning. Thaks for the link to nlite! it looks like a really good tool!

Comment

but mac OS is basically linux/unix with an apple interface and with work linux programs can be run on a mac
                  Program aborting close all that you have worked on,You ask to much. You step into the stream,but the water has moved on, This page is not here. Chaos reigns within, Reflect,repent,and reboot.Order shall return
                  The car

Comment

Originally posted by skydiver
                    but mac OS is basically linux/unix with an apple interface and with work linux programs can be run on a mac
                    and why i don't know that?! thanks for the info...

Comment

Originally posted by knight17
                      I'm not interested in mac but thanks anyway! i use itunes alot though.

to UK_MP3Car: I am quite past the reading and browsing level... now i need tips and suggestions from people who built a car pc similar to what im planning. Thaks for the link to nlite! it looks like a really good tool!
                      WOW, past the reading and browsing level, I've been reading for over a year and am still reading....

I don't think you get past that part, ever....

Good luck on your install tho!
                      2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by CavityCr33p
                        WOW, past the reading and browsing level, I've been reading for over a year and am still reading....

I don't think you get past that part, ever....

Good luck on your install tho!
                        i will second that
                        Program aborting close all that you have worked on,You ask to much. You step into the stream,but the water has moved on, This page is not here. Chaos reigns within, Reflect,repent,and reboot.Order shall return
                        The car

Comment

Nope. You haven't even begun to start reading and browsing. Since you want to conserve money and build this cheaply, you will be required to trade time and patience for shekels.

In order to keep from making expensive mistakes, you need to understand at the very least, your goals for the system, the levels of acceptable performance, and the differences between the various options.

For example, if you do not know why GPS drive is not as good as the other GPS solutions, you haven't visited the GPS drive pages, nor have you compared the commercial alternatives feature for feature. You will need to do this for all of the elements of your system.

Did you know that you can build a car pc using a 300 mhz system? That you don't need a display to do it? That you can actually do it using DOS?

Before I'm accused of flaming new users, I want to assure you that I am most decidedly not trying to simply throw roadblocks in your way without divulging any information on this topic. Rather than informing you that the seach button will yield a tremendous amount of information on these topcis, let's engage in a discussion that can start here:

What are the goals for your system and what is your budget?

From there, we can assist you in selecting various components.

And don't throw the Linux idea away. Learning Linux is an excellent skill that will serve you well in the future. I wish I knew it better.

In any case, if you're willing to take the time to learn, you can successfully put together a system for cheap. But it will take some effort on your part to learn about and weigh the options.
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I never though of asking you this question knight; do you already have a laptop? If so you can save a lot of money.

Comment

Oh i knew that tis line will make a trouble... i didnt mean to offend anyone... what i wanted to say that im not so newbie in computers and ive browsed about the subject and all i need for my system. my problems are: 1.software compatiability (i hope i wrote this write). 2.small budjet that is limited to hardware only- and by hardware i mean things out of the ordinary like lcd screen and such. since my dad is a computer technician and can get parts (motherboard and etc.) somewhat cheaper.
                              My dad though dont want to spend too much money on this (he not a comp freak like me as a matter affect...) and want to use parts he already have and dont pay much for software (do it legally of course).

i know that 330mhz, a dos and a simple lcd can do the trick but thats more like a calculator... i am not so poor thank god...

My system is a bit more coplicated than that:
                              1. A xenarc or lilliput LCD
                              2. A regular computer system in a homebuilt case consists of:
                              -Motherboard with at least p2 or similar
                              -256MB of memory
                              -about 40GB of hard drive - dosent matter how much
                              -DVD-ROM - i dont know if its worth the trouble to put a slim drive
                              -good sound card? - can i manage with a regular one? i dont need a boombox in my car
                              3. Power supply- Home built (and i know electronics good! so its not much of a trouble)
                              4. About the OS im in a problem... i might give another try to the linux with a new version or stick to windows... dosent matter what version (can get them all)
                              5. GPS software - The destinator here (in hebrew) costs about 1200$ believe it or not... i tried to find cracks to the hebrew version but no luck...

and thats all... if you have any real suggestions now please feel free to tell me...

thanks again, ziv

Comment

Working...
                              X