Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post-Need Help

Hi!
    Today i have the wonderful delight of finding about carputer.

Anyways, I have an old computer, and i heard how ppl dont care if their big and stuff, well what i wanted to ask you all wonderful geniuses is how can i set my computer, i just want it to watch movies+ play MP3's. ( Maybe add GPS later on)
    Im a very cheap bastard and i only have like $50 to spend on it.

My puter spec's:
    Pentium 4 @ 1.8
    256MB Ram
    Forogot the mobo with integrated sound.

My car's:
    Honda Civic 2003
    w/ stock factory radio+ stock everything.

My questions:

I know its been asked, but im not clear, Can you hook up ur puter to the speakers and if u wanna hear FM have ur headunit hooked up already?
    Also, can i have this project done with $50?
    And last but not least, can anyone list the stuff i would need to accomplish this?

Thx alot!!!

Yes.
    Maybe.
    Can you be more specific? No two installs are the same.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

Specific about what??

<----- BIG NOOB :P

Anyways i just wanna have my comp hooked up to my car so i can play loads and loads of MP3's. Maybe, just maybe someday games,gps and all that nice **** could come, but for now, i have $50, an old computer and a desire to get this **** working

Comment

Take a look at the sticky's in the newbie section

This one is for your audio to HU

You will need to search for one for the power
        "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

The two main things I see that you are giong to need are power (for under $50 its gonna have to b ean inverter) and a screen (I don't know how you are going to do this with such little money.)

For power:

Battery ---> Inverter ---> Power supply in computer

And a momentary switch to turn it on from the dashn run from the computer
          2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
          7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
          80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

To play just mp3s no screen is needed, just hack up a keyboard to create buttons for next previous etc and have one massive playlist.

Comment

And i have a stupid question.
              Can i have like a parallel connection to the speakers?
              Attached Files

Comment

Best to use a cheap mixer (or a switch box to swtich between the 2) or you may end up frying one or the other

great picture btw If only others would do this when they are asking sht

Comment

ROfl thx,

So if i do that i could blow 1 or the other if i have them both on at the same time.
                  Or is it the speaker that can blow because of overcharge( over current orwhatever).
                  And if i have one on at a time only, will i be safe? I can have an extra switch or fuse in there for extra security?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also,

I forogot to ask if anyone knows the best way to stick a 19" Flatscreen to the roof of a car.
                    Should i just tape it with duct tape to the roof of the car? LoL
                    Wonder if anyone tried sticking a flatscreen monitor to the roof of a car, sorta like if ur tired, lay back and watch movies, other types of movies and music videos or something?

Comment

its hard to be exact because different electronic units have different levels of protection, however you may be risking the output stages of either device - the speaker will be ok - a switch to isolate the 2 units from eachother is what you need (or a cheapo mixer and leave them plugged in)

Dont fuse the speaker line, only fuse the power lines to each unit - the way you show it, when the switch is open the HU will work, when the switch is closed, its just like it would be with no switch, so pointless
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk3t
                        Also,

I forogot to ask if anyone knows the best way to stick a 19" Flatscreen to the roof of a car.
                        Should i just tape it with duct tape to the roof of the car? LoL
                        Wonder if anyone tried sticking a flatscreen monitor to the roof of a car, sorta like if ur tired, lay back and watch movies, other types of movies and music videos or something?
                        ru serious? whatever u use, dont use duct tape, yes it sticks like crap to a blanket but it doesnt stay like it, if its under the slightest load it will peel off sooner or later, and whether it does it by gravity or you peel it off, it leaves everything you stuck it to with a ickky gummy residue

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Ad
                          ru serious? whatever u use, dont use duct tape, yes it sticks like crap to a blanket but it doesnt stay like it, if its under the slightest load it will peel off sooner or later, and whether it does it by gravity or you peel it off, it leaves everything you stuck it to with a ickky gummy residue

Lol i was just kidding, but do u know of any other way, because i think screwing it in is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk3t
                            I'm pretty sure you said you were cheap? . Maybe you could find out how those fold down screen are setup. I'm not sure but aren't you going to have heat issues by installing it flat to the roof.

Comment

lol i have this 19" on my computer right now, and i have another monitor( One of those old ones that have like 5 feet on the back of the screen) and i was thinking i could use that for the comp and the flat for the car :P, but i asked around and they told me that it cant be done unless i wanna put 2 big *** screws thru the roof of the car that would damage it for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X