What would be your ideal CarPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be your ideal CarPC?

Hey guys whats up? I just joined this forum, there is soo much to learn, its going to take some time though. I figured I'd start out and ask everyone what thier ideal CarPC would be, with all the bells and whistles, under a reasonable price.

Originally posted by PagalDesi4Life
    Hey guys whats up? I just joined this forum, there is soo much to learn, its going to take some time though. I figured I'd start out and ask everyone what thier ideal CarPC would be, with all the bells and whistles, under a reasonable price.
    Bells, whistles and reasonable price - pick any two!

Anyway, I'll bite:
    1. Fast CPU, lots of memory and HDD space (see further why)
    2. Auto on/off with the engine + option to run when the engine is off
    3. Driver-side touchscreen + either several headrest or a large flip-down 16:9 screen
    4. Independent operation of driver part and entertainment part
    5. Wireless internet via cellphone + 802.11b/g, full cellphone integration (hands-free through carputer)
    6. GPS with tracking and log upload, good 3d-view + integration with Terraserver maps
    7. Side cams, rear cam with range sensor + front cam with IR mode
    8. Full integration with car electric/electronic components
    9. Full voice control over the above
    Satisfied? Now close your mouth, you're drooling
    Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

1. AMD or Intel CPU. Above 1.6ghz.
      2. 512Megs of RAM (faster bootup)
      3. 250GB of HD space (Serial ATA)
      4. Auto on/off with the engine + option to run when the engine is off
      5. Startup when you press a button on the remote (Startup when you open the doors is a bad idea because I have to open the door locks and only then can I pop the trunk)
      6. Stock look and feel
      7. Wireless internet via 802.11a/b/g
      8. Full cellphone integration (hands-free through carputer)
      9. GPS with tracking and log upload, good 3d-view + integration with Terraserver maps
      10. Rear cam with range sensor + front cam
      11. Full integration with car electric/electronic components
      12. A/C Control
      13. Full voice control over the above
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
        [*]Startup when you press a button on the remote (Startup when you open the doors is a bad idea because I have to open the door locks and only then can I pop the trunk)
        Hmmm, that's interesting... Is that a Lexus feature, a your car feature, or a your alarm system feature?

Peace,

Rafster
        Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by rafaelsherman
          Hmmm, that's interesting... Is that a Lexus feature, a your car feature, or a your alarm system feature?

Peace,

Rafster
          My Lexus alarm came broken. And its got only one button

I've got a clifford g5 or somethin'. Its a 4 button remote. It has a remote start (100% sure) and window down capability (99% sure). I could wire it into the remote start port.
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Dual Xeon with at least 2GB of RAM so I can render projects and/or run SETI on the road ^^

Comment

Originally posted by koolaidkitten
              Dual Xeon with at least 2GB of RAM so I can render projects and/or run SETI on the road ^^
              YES SETI on the road!

ideal setup:
              1) Any good processor over 1.8ghz
              2) Auto on and off with engine
              3) Skin auto switches to night mode when lights come on and off
              4) At least 500 GB storage space
              5) Satelite Radio
              6) OBD 2 integration
              7) 512MB ram
              8) touchscreen up front for driver and passenger
              9) Normal vga screen out back in the middle of the seats for rear occupants.
              10) Soundblaster audigy 2 platinum
              11) 4 port USB hub behind dash to run touchscreen, gps and other essentials.
              12) 7 Port hub up front in cubby hole for easy connectivity
              13) Dolby digital decoder for digital sound
              14) Ability to modify suspension through computer (in works )
              15) Integrated Telephone

Thats about it. Although for a setup to get you started, half my list can be erased.
              Computer:
              COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
              STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

Comment

A tiny mircrobus pentium M with the new 2Ghz CPU. Thsose things have self healing fuses on their inputs and ATI or nVidia graphics.

Spec:
                Pentium Mobile 2.0Ghz
                5V DC power
                1Gb RAM
                nVidia graphics with video capture and twin VGA out.
                Front and rear cameras with IR night vision
                Motorised pop up GPS screen under windscreen
                HUD for track and direction info
                360 parking sensors
                Integrated alarm with standalone 3G video link, GPS coordinate tracking and remote secondary immobiliser

7" 1000cd/m2 automatic dimming screens with transreflective polariser and capacitative Touchscreen.

iDrive style controller and voice activation.

TMC traffic data updating and automatic GPS re-routing.

DAB radio (in UK). XM would be better but we dont get it and DAB os free anyway.

mobile phone support with dedicated data line phone and BT link to personal mobile. Voice typing for SMS and option to use main speakers or headrest speaker for phone.

How does that sound?

Comment

Ideal computer for car:

No computer at all. Just a display screen, voice control and an always on, uninterrupted connection to the entire network with apps served to the car.

Some sensors to read car data and position. Intelligent software that learns my driving patterns and needs including personal and work email, relevant driving information and integrates video and telephony into a seamless product.

By the way, the device that receives this information doesn't stay in the car, I carry it with me.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                    Ideal computer for car:

No computer at all.
                    And it all works thanks to... ugh... magically condensed white smoke?
                    Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

Ideal computer for car:

No computer at all. Just a display screen, voice control and an always on, uninterrupted connection to the entire network with apps served to the car.

Some sensors to read car data and position. Intelligent software that learns my driving patterns and needs including personal and work email, relevant driving information and integrates video and telephony into a seamless product.

By the way, the device that receives this information doesn't stay in the car, I carry it with me.
                      The not as far off as we think reality. (I hope)

I think the perfect carputer for now is mine Will be even better when i get my SE s710a this week and intergrate phonecontrol.
                      My Install

Software:
                      CFiG v1
                      iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                      Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                      StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

... under my skin.
                        I got in a carputer crash because of a bad driver.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrominImpala
                          Ya all might flame me, but its still a carputer setup...
                          Axim X50v in a fiberglassed enclosure right by my XM radio / shifter.
                          Have the presentation add-on accessory for vga out and then connect it to my video supplier,fiberglassed TV In the dash, visor tv's and headrest tv's.And audio out into the a/v system Bluetooth keyboard would be nice, and a 1gb SD card, and Compact flash GPS.
                          Why do I want this? Its all solid state, its plenty fast to do mpeg videos. But its about the most practical carputer I've came up with yet. Plug it in, take it out when your home, sync it up with your home PC, and take it with you on your day. It really fits the build.
                          You guys know its coming, the first PDA that you plug into a base unit on your desktop, the base unit has your audio, usb, DVI connections on it, and your keyboard / speakers / monitor is plugged into the base. Your entire computer is the PDA. The X50v is just one of the PDA's laying the footwork making them more and more capable.
                          Sorry, but a PDA doesn't qualify as a car computer... its more of an organizer.
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by ChrominImpala
                            If a PDA has video / audio out, runs Pocket PC 2003, is fully featured, bluetooth and 802.11b. Why do I need a big ITX computer with so many moving part's asking to die?
                            You asked a IDEAL carpc...this is a carpc. Its hooked up to the A/V system and you could be on windows desktop in 640x480. Asus has a model with 128mb SDRAM, Dell has one with 64mb SDRAM and 16mb video memory.
                            You can do anything you can on a PC on a portable PC it seems now. Some people will take this out of context, but for the purpose its slick
                            I'd love to see you play n64 on your PDA
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                              Sorry, but a PDA doesn't qualify as a car computer... its more of an organizer.
                              Indeed. FWIW I won't even call a notebook computer "carputer," since it is not integrated solution. PDA in a car is just what it is - a freaking PDA stuck in a freaking car, not a tiny bit more

Comment

Working...
                              X