Alphanumeric LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alphanumeric LCD

Hi everyone. I was hoping for some quick help. I'm considering plugin an alphanumeric LCD where my HU used to be :-)

Here's my questions:
    Does anyone know of a cheap LCD? I saw Crystalfonts but they were like $60-$70 each! plus $9 shipping! I know some people made one for pretty cheap on here. I have a parallel port, and if It's alot cheaper/easier an serial port. (gotta make a different IR receiver for parallel port then). So pretty much, can someone recomend a LCD for under $30 shipped? Naturally I'd like the biggest I can get.

Also, while we're on the subject, does anyone know of a cheap button/controller, something I can put up front to control my songs? Like a play/pause/stop button for my songs up front?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Matrix Orbital MX2 in my home PC. I really like it, and it came with LCDC. They're available in different backlight/color combinations. I have a USB model, I'm not sure if they're avalable in serial.

....on the other hand, it costs $99 I believe.
    -string theorist-
    2005 Black SRT-4
    Nitto NeoGen 225/40/ZR18s on 18x7.5 5Zigen MK5s - installed @ 830 mi. on ODO
    Install: [▓------------] : R&D

Comment

Check eBay. The parallel interface LCDs are cheaper than the serial or USB ones.
      Jameco (www.jameco.com) also has some.
      System status: in progress

Comment

You might be happier with a VFD display instead, they are much better to read in the daylight.

Comment

I can tell you, the Matrix Orbital are not cheap. BUT they are very well equiped and easy to use. With LCDC, there are plugins available for winamp and mediaplayer.

I myself had a MO installed in my car. Works nicely! I upgraded it to a Xenarc though
          But be sure to take a look at the forum on the Matrix Orbital site. You'll find quite some info.
          Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
          First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

I just won a big display 24x8 on ebay, for $25 shipped. No backlight but I'm gonna try and put one on it. It says it has a plugin for winamp, but does anyone know if I can make it work with frodoplayer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Originally posted by KyleYankan
              I just won a big display 24x8 on ebay, for $25 shipped. No backlight but I'm gonna try and put one on it. It says it has a plugin for winamp, but does anyone know if I can make it work with frodoplayer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
              Nice display! Hope you can find a solution for the backlight.

I'm not sure. I know that for LCDC there is a plugin for Mediaplayer.
              I have seen a thread here somewhere in which the subject was the development for a plugin for LCDC to work together with Frodo.
              Maybe you can do a search on that one.

But I presume your display doesn't work with that software.
              You might look for a mediaplayer plugin for your display. That might do the trick as well.
              Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
              First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

Working...
              X