Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Serial/VGA/USB cables

Hi everyone. I have a quick question.

Right now I have a minivan. Carputer is in the back. I have speaker wires running up the drivers side, and power wires running down the passenger side.

I am going to be running a serial cable in a few days, and would like to know where I should run it? W/ the speakers or the power. I also plan on running an USB cable, and a VGA cable in a month or two.

I was considering on of those little "ramps" they use i nfactories/workistes, that is like the weatherstrips on the bottom of a door. /--\ and the wires run in the hollow center. I'd run that right up the center, and secure it to the floor somehow. I'd rather not do that, so is It ok to run these cables with the power or speaker wires? thanks.

run them with your speaker wires
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

sorry to contradict but if we are talking about power wires carrying DC power, i would think the best option would be to run the serial, VGA and USB cables with the power wires.
      This would avoid any interference from the speaker wires. serial cables have shielding (and so too i guess would VGA and USB cabling) but it would be the safer bet to run them with the power cables.

cheers

Comment

But johnny don't forget, that the cables have AC ripple from the alternator - why you can't run the speaker wires with power wires w/o interference.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleYankan
          But johnny don't forget, that the cables have AC ripple from the alternator - why you can't run the speaker wires with power wires w/o interference.
          yep. I been doing this fer years johnny. Signal wires go down one side, power down the other.
          I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

why dont u just run the wires over ur roof and tape it down with BRIGHT YELLOW duck tape lol naw im messin around :-P

dont run ur **** next to power!! keep it next to ur speaker wires and ull have fun! power wires and ull be thinkin WTF happend

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
              why dont u just run the wires over ur roof and tape it down with BRIGHT YELLOW duck tape ...

omg I just fell outta my chair
              I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

lol u knoow theres gotta be someone out there who has done that haha

Comment

true, didn't think about the alternator ripple.

...even so, the ripple would be minimal compared to the variation in current in the speaker wires. less variation (with time) = less interference

but if it works, it works, huh?

Comment

use the roof method man it will work! lol

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                      omg I just fell outta my chair
                      Did not know you guys had seen my car.
                      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY
                        Did not know you guy had seen my car.
                        lol u know it could acctuly work if u had a suv or truck taht was raised because u cant c ontop of it lol

Comment

(OT, but germane to some of the comments posted here.)

Is it my imagination, or do "djs" commit some of the worst grammar and/or spelling atrocities in the english language? I guess they're too busy scratching vinyl (or whatever the hell it is that they do) to pay any attention to english composition.

/wating for some brave soul to remix "My Little Buttercup"
                          //why create when you can sample?

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon
                            /wating for some brave soul to remix "My Little Buttercup"
                            Myyyyyyyyyyy little buttercup has the sweetest smi-*unch*-i-*unch*-i-*unch*-i*-unch*...
                            System status: in progress

Comment

Is it my imagination, or do "djs" commit some of the worst grammar and/or spelling atrocities in the english language?
                              maybe? never really thought of that but it could be true

//why create when you can sample?
                              thats hella true but its messed up to sample :-P

Myyyyyyyyyyy little buttercup has the sweetest smi-*unch*-i-*unch*-i-*unch*-i*-unch*...
                              :-P u shud be a dj DJ BUTTERCUP ;-) lol jp

Comment

Working...
                              X