Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the 5400 RPM hard drives? Power issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the 5400 RPM hard drives? Power issues?

Is this becuase of the 150 watt power supplies? I never thought power would be an issue, but I guess I understand. Does this mean my dream of a nvidia 6600 car computer is a bust?

I think your dream would be burst if you looked at the power consumption of the 6600
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Hrmmmm, well I'm not one for letting my dreams burst. How would I go around this issue, a dc amplifier?

Sorry about the questions, I'm quite new at this subject.

Mainly the video car is for a winamp visualizer.

Comment

Originally posted by thenewuser
        Hrmmmm, well I'm not one for letting my dreams burst. How would I go around this issue, a dc amplifier?

Sorry about the questions, I'm quite new at this subject.

Mainly the video car is for a winamp visualizer.
        Wow! That must be one hell of a visualization to require so much processing power! If you want good graphics, go with an nForce chipset and an athlon XP system.

You can also use two DC-DC power supplies. One problem with inverters is that they may make a really annoying whine, and they are inefficient.
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Dont let people say youre dreams are gonna burst. The systems most people have suck as far as power is concerned. 0I33I wrote navivoice so i know he knows what hes doing. But there are plenty of solutions for going around the power issues. Some people use dual supplies. Or just get an inverter and a big *** desktop PSU. Although inefficent it will work just fine if its done properly.

Comment

Look up winamp and R4 visualizer. Right now on my gaming machine, p4 3.0ghz, 6800 gt oc, it looks amazing, with very stunning graphics.

I want this in my car, as well as GPS, DVD playback and of course my mp3 folders.

I wish to install a 10,000rpm sata drive w/ a few fast boot "hacks" installed into xp home. I don't want to start my car up and wait 30 sec to hear my music haha.

I also don't want to drain my battery to death, also I'm a tad confused on how when I shut down my car 50+ times it doesn't kill my computer (car computer).

I have much to learn and am reading tons right now.

Comment

Originally posted by sansoo24
              Dont let people say youre dreams are gonna burst. The systems most people have suck as far as power is concerned. 0I33I wrote navivoice so i know he knows what hes doing. But there are plenty of solutions for going around the power issues. Some people use dual supplies. Or just get an inverter and a big *** desktop PSU. Although inefficent it will work just fine if its done properly.
              Thanks

But I'm saying that the 6600 is only needed for games. And games aren't going to be GREAT on a 7" LCD.

A big *** desktop PSU will drain your battery.

I'm not advocating the use of VIA products just so you guys know. VIA = underpowered in my book (atleast for what I'm going to be using my carputer for)
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Look up winamp and R4 visualizer. Right now on my gaming machine, p4 3.0ghz, 6800 gt oc, it looks amazing, with very stunning graphics.

I want this in my car, as well as GPS, DVD playback and of course my mp3 folders.

I wish to install a 10,000rpm sata drive w/ a few fast boot "hacks" installed into xp home. I don't want to start my car up and wait 30 sec to hear my music haha.

I also don't want to drain my battery to death, also I'm a tad confused on how when I shut down my car 50+ times it doesn't kill my computer (car computer).

I have much to learn and am reading tons right now.
                I know that winamp visualizations look awesome, but you have to ask yourself the question: "is it worth having another thing distracting your attention while driving?".

No one uses XP home.

10,000 RPM hard drive is going to give you faster boot times. But they also run hotter, and have less storage space. And they require more power.

If you use a "normal" carputer setup, then it will not drain your battery when the car is off. After the computer is shut down, then just the circuit that waits for a on trigger is active. This does not use a lot of power.
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

The visualizer isn't for me. XP home has faster boot time. Some of Pro's software can not be disabled for fast boot, that's why I was thinking home.
                  The heat from the 10,000rpm drive is fine cooling is not a problem for me, and 74 gigs is fine for me.

I must assume that there is a solution to the power situation. I have yet to learn about the power manage systems, like when the shuts off, I'm reading about that now.

I'm not trying to argue as I'm new at this, but I must believe there is a power sollution, but perhaps their isn't?

Comment

The visualizer isn't for me. XP home has faster boot time. Some of Pro's software can not be disabled for fast boot, that's why I was thinking home.
                    The heat from the 10,000rpm drive is fine cooling is not a problem for me, and 74 gigs is fine for me.

I must assume that there is a solution to the power situation. I have yet to learn about the power manage systems, like when the shuts off, I'm reading about that now.

I'm not trying to argue as I'm new at this, but I must believe there is a power sollution, but perhaps their isn't?
                    Fine, go with an inverter and a tank setup.

One set of advice: learn from other people's mistakes. Some members have spend over $500 on powering their inverter systems.

There's also another problem with using a 10,000RPM drive in the car. I think that it creates too much vibration, which is bad for the drive while driving. In general, its a bad idea. Its just spinning too fast. I'm sure that other members will agree
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Ahh good point about the vibration, money isn't a problem. Perhaps a slower drive then. =/

I will read into this inverter and tank setup.

Comment

Ahh good point about the vibration, money isn't a problem. Perhaps a slower drive then. =/

I will read into this inverter and tank setup.
                        Reading always helps

I'm sure that a bit of searching, you will find why people advice against the 10k drives.
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Ahhh and my tired brain figures it out...my 1100 watt amp sub system w/ a hard drive wouldn't mix well.

Yet another thing I need to figure out.

Comment

Do as i did,i bought a socket 478 micro atx motherboard with a integrated radeon 9200 and a celeron D(the new version) that is more than enough for any visualzation or game.It's quite cheap too:
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
                            Download our catalogue here :
                            http://www.noboringstuff.com/catalogoweb.zip

Comment

mmmmm celeron and a 9200? I was thinking at lease a amd 64 3000+ moble?

Comment

Working...
                              X