Help powering my system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help powering my system

ok, I am not new to car audio or computers, but carputers are alittle different.

My setup will consist of a 7"xenarc, alpine amp, and a sony laptop. I had planned to run power to the laptop and Xenarc at all times, and wire startup/shutdown button on the dash. The Xenarc will just go into standby when the PC is turned off. This way, I can use the PC whether or not ignition is off, and one button turns the system on/off. The laptop will be powered with a DC-DC brick.

One problem:

How should I connect the turn on lead of the amp? The ignition would give me a nasty pop, and I would not be able to listen to music with the car off, either. Is there a way to have the amp turn on with the PC? there is no head unit.

I suppose I could wire everything into the accessory lead, but then I wouldent I have crank issues? I think it drops on start. TIA.

PS, I really dont want another switch, and Im not afraid of doing wiring.
    Is this where the witty comment goes?
    97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Run some regular wire from the amp to under your seat, and solder a 12v switch onto the end of it?

Fuse it, and simply wire one wire into the power input of your amp, and the other into power on.

Works for me

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the part about the switch. But it would work anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Shotty
      Run some regular wire from the amp to under your seat, and solder a 12v switch onto the end of it?

Fuse it, and simply wire one wire into the power input of your amp, and the other into power on.

Works for me

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the part about the switch. But it would work anyway
      no prob The switch will be worst case scenario.

Comment

I did more thinking on this.

Run the Xenarc fused to the battery.
        Run the laptop on switched accessory power, set it to standby after power cut.
        Use a push button ran to power switch on docking station to turn on.
        Just run the amp to ignition.

thats how Im gonna do it untill I figure out something better.

Comment

Working...
        X