Greetings!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings!

Some of you may have seen me snooping around and I've shared some dialog with a few of you, and my shopping list is nearly complete, so I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself.

I'm new to carputers but I've been building computers and developing software for 21 years and I've always had a decent stereo system, so it's just a matter of marrying the two up now. I don't know dick about cars though, so I may be asking some ignorant questions in that area, but I promise I'll search for the answer first.

This started when I bought a used Jetta last December with a stock AM/FM cassette player. I had been wanting GPS for a while so I was just about to throw down over $3000 on an Alpine Mobile Media Station when I overheard a co-worker telling someone that the touchscreen monitor he ordered on ebay for his car pc had arrived. I asked him about it and he directed me to this site and so the lurking began. My initial thought was, "A computer in my car. What a dumbass I am for not thinking of this already!"

While I do enjoy DIY projects, I travel for a living and I drive everywhere (hence the used VW) because I hate to fly, so I don't have access to a garage and I don't carry tools with me. I just have a little apartment in Tampa where I store all of my crap and have my active directory, web, and mail servers running, but I basically live in corporate apartments wherever I happen to be working. So, I'm going to take the easy way out and just buy the parts and have it professionally installed. I think I will go ahead and develop my own front end though, primarily because I'm interested in the 64 bit architecture, so this will give me a chance to play with it.

Having said that, I'd like to go ahead and take this opportunity to thank those of you who have posted all of this very useful information and those of you who are keeping this site running. Great site, lots of info, smart and helpful people. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

RH

Hi.

Hello and welcome to the community ! Sounds like you have a very interesting life.

Developing a car pc front end is quite a daunting task which I'd only suggest to a highly motivated individual, simply because your car pc progress will depend entirely on how quickly you can impliment new code changes.

GOod luck however and post your progress !
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, any development project always turns out to be more than you expect. That little client/server messaging app that should've taken two weeks turned into a year, because you didn't have a project manager looking over your shoulder and keeping you on scope.

Luckily, I've already developed some skinnable stuff and I've tinkered with some MP3 coding so at least I have a bit of a head start. I'm sure it'll be quite a while before I finish (if ever), just need an excuse to familiarize myself with 64 bit development. I'll probably partition the drive and have XP on one and XP64 on the other, so I can use FrodoPlayer in the meantime.

Comment

you could ask to join an existing project team- perhaps some of them would benefit from your input rather than being just another one man development project?

Comment

I agree. After all, one thing you'll hear a lot in the engineering world is "don't reinvent the wheel".

current frontends seem to be very configurable, and already have a lot of the important bases covered. It would take a significant amount of time to "catch up" and reach the point where the other frontends are already, when you could instead spend that time making some really great additions to existing packages.
          But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
          Originally posted by Viscouse
          I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
          eegeek.net

Comment

Hello.

Comment

Working...
            X