Carputer Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer Question

Can i have a carputer work with a 5 disc cd changer?

sure, If you keep your head unit.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Please be more specific. It would help to know things like what type of computer, cd changer, car, stereo, and what exactly it is you are trying to achieve.
      It is possible to have both a cd changer and a computer plugged into a car stereo, a few ways, but probably not to use at the same time. (no listening to cd while using gps, at least you wont be able to hear both)
      Do you already have the changer in your car? Is it factory, and what kind?
      What kind of head unit does your car have?

1. If there exists an aftermarket adapter for your stereo for this purpose, it would plug into where the changer normally goes, and (possibly, not probable)allows for both to be plugged in, and you can interchange between the two inputs, but they are not simultaneous. Search the internet for such an adapter, they do exist, but only for a few cars. (crutchfield is a good place to start)
      2.IF your stereo has a cd changer input and an aux input, then it is an easy yes, just use em. (there are many aftermarkets that have this, you would probably know if yours did)
      Also, if it has XM input, there are adapters to make this AUX in, depending on the unit.

Ok, that is enough spoonfeeding. Get out there and search for what you need. OR be more specific if I have missed something.
      Good luck, I hope you can get it to work to your liking, I was unable to use my cd changer because it is factory and I needed a new stereo. I am still a happy carputer camper!
      Carputer status: [-*---------]
      Im thinking laptop...

Comment

I think i've seen a cd-changer for a computer. It fit a 5.25" drive.
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
          Theres that too, thats why I asked what he wanted to acheive, and what TYPE of changer. More info, please, if we haven't aswered your question or at least led you in the right direction!
          Im thinking laptop...

Comment

ok its late, imma be more specific tomorrow... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
              That's how I know I am old, I remember the 6x 3- and 4-disc cd-drives for computers. Have not seen anything of the kind in quite a few years, I think the fastest was a NEC 12x with 4-cds.
              I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by rushnrockt
                That's how I know I am old, I remember the 6x 3- and 4-disc cd-drives for computers. Have not seen anything of the kind in quite a few years, I think the fastest was a NEC 12x with 4-cds.
                Yeh, I remember those too. Never had one. I thought that they would be useless
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Those old NEC changers for computers were not great. Lots of noise when changing CDs, slow to do the change and all those mechanics in a cramped space made for more to go wrong with the whole thing.

Comment

Why do you want a CD changer when you have all of your music on the car PC?
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

nah, you know your old when you remember the 30 MEGABYTE (nono- not gigabyte) MFM HD's that were 4" tall... I had 2 of them, that and 16mhz proccessor and 512k ram...
                      Is this where the witty comment goes?
                      97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                        Why do you want a CD changer when you have all of your music on the car PC?
                        I think it's just a bit difficult to let it go.

If you love your cd changer, let it go, man, let it go.
                        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth97
                          nah, you know your old when you remember the 30 MEGABYTE (nono- not gigabyte) MFM HD's that were 4" tall... I had 2 of them, that and 16mhz proccessor and 512k ram...
                          Sounds like my first computer... but hey, Im not that old!!!! I think it had about 30MB, but the processor was not that fast unless I am mistaken. I got an HP years later that was still only 66mhz, with 8mb ram. My how clock times change.
                          Im thinking laptop...

Comment

haha, and when I built my first 486, Ram (30 pin SIMM in those days) was $100/Mb
                            Is this where the witty comment goes?
                            97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

yes can still use your 5 disc changer, if you still have you head unit on. you can't wire up your changer to your computer.

but the thing i'll have to ask.. is why???
                              Brushed Metal for Centrafuse 1.4
                              Brushed Aluminum for Centrafuse 1.4

xenarc 700ts | via epia-m10k | audigy2 nx | holux gm-210 | usb wifi | 40gb 2.5" | slot-load dvd-cdrw | morex 3688 | opus 150w | centrafuse, iguidance

Comment

Working...
                              X