hard drive problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive problems?

hi, ive been lurking around these forums for quite a while now and have learned a ton of information. my setup will be a compaq deskpro en, 256 ram, 20 gig hd, dvd/cd burner (havent decided where its going yet) indash touch screen etc, which is going into a 98 civic. my question is since my car is lowered its a rough ride very bumpy, how badly would that affect my hard drive? any suggestions on how best to mount it. right now its mounted horizantlly in the case, would that be ok like that ok?

thanks,
    Rick

That's always a concern for people, and many try to "cushion" the HD. Most agree, however, that it is not necessary, and few have had problems. If it were a problem for enough people, there would be a forum about it.
    Carputer status: [-*---------]
    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

While it is true that for most, it is not a problem, mountng your Hdd verticaly(so that the platters are not parellel to the ground) may improve your chances of longer HDD life by reduceing the risk of a head crash
      Every day driver, 1989 Celica. Probly won't get a carpc for a while

Working on: 1972 240z. Gonna put a V8 and a Turion in it. Best power in bothworlds. Now if only I could get my theoretical boot as low as my theroretical 1/4 mile time (8.22 s)

Comment

thanks a lot, but shizzle could you elaborate on cushioning he harddrive, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Don't fall for the "mount it vertically, it's better" argument until somebody provides you with proof. If you do a little searching on terms like "shock mount" and "vertical", you'll find that there is a raging controversy over which is better.

Since nobody can provide anything except anecdotal information, there is no proof one way or the other or even whether shock mounting your hardrive is helpful or not.

I say, hard drives are cheap. Try it out. If it quits, mount it the other way.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

mount it at an angle to get best of both worlds or suspend it in your glove box with rubberbands and cotton swabs

Comment

I've heard of using a race car's suspension would work, but if my cousion can go off roading in his jeep wrangler, flip over (twice) and have his harddrive work flawlessly, then you should be fine.
              Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
              Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
              Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
              CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
              NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Originally posted by HHdesign
                I've heard of using a race car's suspension would work, but if my cousion can go off roading in his jeep wrangler, flip over (twice) and have his harddrive work flawlessly, then you should be fine.

what kind of harddrive was it? laptop or desktop?
                does it even make a difference?

Comment

reletively new Seagate Barracuda 80gig 7200 RPM. I have the same thing, but if I had it to do over again I'd have gotten a western digital, my maxtor pooped on me (not even in a car) on the first week on the job. My seagate is, one sec let me open my case...its in a 3.5" slot, it was a desktop. Sorry my memory is a little vague, I got mine OEM from one of newegg's specials.

I'd reccomend seagate, the drive is fast and works well. I dont think a laptop or desktop drive make much differnce. I think some people are just unlucky when it comes to a harddrive dying. I think the warranty of my harddrive said something like, its void if harddrive comes under more than 300G's, so I really dont think theres too much to be concerned about. If you are, try using, like I said, a racecar's suspension. Or use a cheapo drive for a little while and see how it holds up.

Dont be tryin flipping your car over and expecting your computer to still work hehe.
                  NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

whats the memory card thing wasnt someone using a memory card to run their OS on?

Comment

i was just thinking about this; i have two 10" infinity 1000 watt subs in the trunk, would that severly harm the harddrive? anyone have problems?

Comment

I asked about this earlier, in a differnt thread, and I was concerned about vibrations from the sub(s). Poster basically said, if a harddrive can withstand like 30 G's Idle (correct me if I'm wrong) and 15 spinning, subwoofer vibrations are no biggie
                        NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Working...
                        X