Carputer Chrysler Pacifica 2005

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer Chrysler Pacifica 2005

So I got my new car and now I am looking into putting in a carputer, but alas I have no real information about this sorta stuff... from the amount of research I have done I have come to the following conclusions..

LCD Screen
    Xenarc 700IDT

GPS
    BU-303 using iGuidance

Front End
    Road Runner

So here are some of my questions...
    I would like to buy a reasonably priced prebuilt system that wont kill my car battery and wont die from overheating (i live in a climate that SOMTIMES gets 110ish outside)

I also have steering wheel controls and dont want to lose their functionality, is there a way to integrate those into the computer?

My car comes with a 6disc in dash DVD changer as well as a Double DIN stereo, I am willing to give up the stereo, but I dont want to lose the 6disc changer, is there a way to integrate that?

Is there an "easy" way of putting the cdrom or whatever into a center console or even in dash so that I can load CDs that way? (i am thinking of putting the computer underneath the passenger front seat and this is not conducive to changing CDs while driving)

thanks in advance for all your help.

I used the search feature for most of what I wanted to do, but didnt find anything really conclusive for the questions

Originally posted by Munchunk
    I also have steering wheel controls and dont want to lose their functionality, is there a way to integrate those into the computer?
    Get something like this: http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/UN...WIX_p_597.html

Then this: http://keyspan.com/products/usb/urm17a/

Program the first box (that works with the wheel controls) to control the remote for the PC to do what you want to do. I don't know if this is the 'slickest' solution, but it will work.
    My car comes with a 6disc in dash DVD changer as well as a Double DIN stereo, I am willing to give up the stereo, but I dont want to lose the 6disc changer, is there a way to integrate that?
    Probably not. You'd have to figure out the control protocols, figure out how to get your computer to talk to it, then most likely write the software. Besides, you're putting in a CarPC. I'd say that could hold more music than a 6disc changer.

Is there an "easy" way of putting the cdrom or whatever into a center console or even in dash so that I can load CDs that way? (i am thinking of putting the computer underneath the passenger front seat and this is not conducive to changing CDs while driving)
    Not sure what 'easy' way you mean.. I personally have my DVD-ROM and media HD mounted in my glove box, with power for both extended from the PC case (under the passenger seat), a firewire=>IDE adapter, and a firewire cable going from the glove box to the computer. It was pretty easy, though I haven't tested the DVD going down the road. From what the internals look like, it should be fine.

Hopefully that kinda answers your questions.. The answers aren't always what you want to hear, and you might have to wait for a few of them to find the results closest to what you want. But, hopefully that gives you a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Comment

I dont think SWIX will work with the carputer front end. Unless you find a way to connect it to the computer and write software so it communicates with your front end, road runner. SWIX is used for headunit.
      My Carputer Project

Comment

Some people have had good luck with the BU-303 but I chose the Rikaline 6010 because it is waterproof and can get good reception outside of the vehicle.
        2005 Black Chevy Impala
        Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

Working...
        X