Many questions, first time with carputers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many questions, first time with carputers

Just curious if anyone has installed a VGA touchscreen W/ a pc of some sort in a lexus is300. Im very new to this and have some cash to spend. Started reading up on carputers and have falling in love. Even if its not a lexus, im still curious to know what is the most convenient way to go. I was thinking of getting the motorized vga monitor "MTS12000" Has anyone had any problems with this? Also i saw this monitor from Digitalww.com http://www.digitalww.com/DWW-700M.htm
    Now what is the difference between the two? They look exactly the same.

Also has anyone had any experience with this in dash carputer http://www.digitalww.com/AUTOPC.htm

I think that carptuer is awsome....it has all the buttons on the dash for fast access, it also has the built in bios instant access, which is nice since i dont have to wait for the PC to boot.

So here i am very new to this and am a little worried about spending close to $2000 on something i cant play with first. Is $1200 just way to much for this type of carputer? Do you think it would be cheaper to build my own carputer and just get a seperate in dash cd/dvd/mp3 player. This way i could have 1 din my vga screen, the 2nd my cd/dvd/mp3 player, then i would mount my carputer maybe in the trunk i guess.

Last question. Is it easy to hook up interent of some type to a carputer. If so what do you need. A cell phone, a special card, does it have fast enough speeds, this is the big feature i would love to have, since i do a lot of work on the internet.

Thanks to everyone who can answer my questions.

Hi and welcome to the carputer enthusiast world! You can find a wealth of information just by browsing and searching this site.
    Just curious if anyone has installed a VGA touchscreen W/ a pc of some sort in a lexus is300.
    Check out the "show off your project" section, I found this is200 install on the second page!
    Last question. Is it easy to hook up interent of some type to a carputer. If so what do you need. A cell phone, a special card, does it have fast enough speeds, this is the big feature i would love to have, since i do a lot of work on the internet.
    There are a few options for mobile internet, either through a cell phone w/ bluetooth or a data connection, or with a pc card and monthly service through a carrier like sprint.
    the forum for terms "internet card phone" and you will see a few threads discussing the pros and cons of each. There is also a few threads about hacking cell phones from tmobile and cingular to get access.
    Generally using a phone with data connection is kinda slow, and the cards from sprint and the like are high speeds.

There is much more to learn, but I am going to leave it up to others to help you more, but I would recommend that you do some ing of the forums and learn what you can, and then ask questions that are still unanswered.

Good Luck!
    Carputer status: [-*---------]
    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Working...
    X