Momentary Switch install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momentary Switch install

Ok I did a search on this but there alot of of differences on where this installs it seams. And I am just not fully understanding it.
    I am running a M1-ATX 90w and I would like to add a Momentary Switch for the times to where I don't want the PC to power on.
    Do I install the Momentary Switch on the 12v line from the battery?
    Or does it go on the acc line?
    Or do I just connect it to J8 on the M1-ATX

Im so confused

Thanks

Krustydawg
    Carputer Project: 95% Complete!!
    VIA EPIA MII 10000 motherboard | Morex Cubid 3688 Mini-ITX Case | 80Gb 2.5" Seagate Hard Drive | Kingston 512Mb PC2100 DDR Ram | Mini-PS2 USB Keyboard | Microsoft Windows XP SP2 | Lilliput 7" Touchscreen | Rikaline 6010

heres a post just a few down from yours...hope it helps at least a bit

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52774

Comment

If you want something to *stop* your PC being turned on by ignition you will need a push to make/break switch or a rocker switch, not a momentary.

The easiest way to do it is to put the switch somewhere along the line from the +12v line from the car battery to the M1-ATX, leave it closed and it works as normal open the switch and when you start the car your pc will stay offline.
      Current Honda Accord Aero Deck install
      http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78717
      96' Laguna install
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45365

Comment

Well there is a jumper on the M1-ATX (I think it's J8) and we can hook up a switch there so I think it would be a better way !

Anyway, get some wires and a switch (they are like 50¢) and test it That's what I planned to do but right now not a lot of times lol
        Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
        Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
        Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

Originally posted by 273BeLow
          If you want something to *stop* your PC being turned on by ignition you will need a push to make/break switch or a rocker switch, not a momentary.

The easiest way to do it is to put the switch somewhere along the line from the +12v line from the car battery to the M1-ATX, leave it closed and it works as normal open the switch and when you start the car your pc will stay offline.
          Like this:
          Attached Files
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by 273BeLow

Actually, the best way to keep your computer from booting is to use the feature built into the M1-ATX, if it has one. I am not very familiar with the M1-ATX< but if you look through the manuel, and see what it says, you can figure it out. Now, if by chance you have no desire to then the next best way to do it is to put an on-off switch in the accessory line of the power supply, AND NOT THE BATTERY LINE. This is simply because, the PS takes about 10 amps or more of power through the battery line, 10 amps is quite allot, and a switch ith that current rating will be big, and bulky. Also, you will have to lengthen the high power wires to get to the switch, and back to the PS, which increases the power loss over the wire. The accessory wire probably carries less then an amp, and most likely about 200 or so milliamps. No need for a high power switch, and extending that wire will not seriously hamper the current carrying capacity. Also, if you take the power from the fuse box, it is probably pretty close to where you are mounting the switch, although not necessarily.

You could also use a relay, but since you asked the question, I would assume there is no reason to increase the complexity of this.

Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

If in doubt, experiment. Otherwise, say go with the switch on the ACC line.

I' confused, though. Shouldn't it be a SPDT switch. It's that an ON-OFF swtch. DPDT is ON-OFF-ON. The SPST, I believe, it the momentary but what purpose would it serve? You would have to keep the switch held down in order to have the power flow down the ACC line. Go with the SPDT switch. (If I'm correct on this.)

Derel
              Progress [||-------]
              View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
              Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

You don't want a momentary switch. You only want a momentary switch if you're going to hook it up to the motherboard as a power switch. For the power line to the carputer, you're going to want a non-momentary Single Pole, Single Throw (SPST) switch.
                Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Originally posted by d_sellers1
                  If in doubt, experiment. Otherwise, say go with the switch on the ACC line.

I' confused, though. Shouldn't it be a SPDT switch. It's that an ON-OFF swtch. DPDT is ON-OFF-ON. The SPST, I believe, it the momentary but what purpose would it serve? You would have to keep the switch held down in order to have the power flow down the ACC line. Go with the SPDT switch. (If I'm correct on this.)

Derel
                  SPDT refers to the way the switch works. You can buy this switch as a momentary or permanant (like a light switch). The SP says that this switch is a Single Pole which refers to the set of contacts the switch can work with -in this case a single one. DT refers to double throw, which means there are two positions the switch can be set to.

More info here
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Yeah. I knew what I was trying to think of but it just didn't work out right.
                    Here's a really good site that shows the differencs between switches. It's got pictures too.
                    http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/switch.htm

Derek
                    Progress [||-------]
                    View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                    Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

I'd like to thank you all for your input.
                      I ended up going to radioshack and buying this switch
                      Switch

I plan on installing it on the Acc line, as soon as I get all my other wires run.

Again thanks

Krustydawg
                      Carputer Project: 95% Complete!!
                      VIA EPIA MII 10000 motherboard | Morex Cubid 3688 Mini-ITX Case | 80Gb 2.5" Seagate Hard Drive | Kingston 512Mb PC2100 DDR Ram | Mini-PS2 USB Keyboard | Microsoft Windows XP SP2 | Lilliput 7" Touchscreen | Rikaline 6010

Comment

Working...
                      X