n00b ipod questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b ipod questions

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new here and am ready to learn with a little help from you all. I'm a moderator over at www.motospeak.com and I know how we treat n00bs, so I hope I can get treated the same way. Anyways, here is my scenario. I am interested in hooking up an ipod to my Sony Xplod HU. I am also currently running an amp that is powering 2 6x9's. What do I need to do and buy (or hack) to do this? I do not want to control the ipod from the HU, using the ipod itself to switch tracks and such will be fine. Is this as simple as running an aux cable from the ipod itself to my amp? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

This has to be the most common noob question next to " What do I need to have a carputer?"
    Basically, there are a couple options, and its up to you to decide whats best for you.
    1. If your HU has aux in you can run a cable from the ipod to that, and select aux on the HU to use it.
    2. If not, but there is a cd-changer control option (which many have, including my pioneer) you can get an adapter that converts the cdchanger input to an aux input.
    3. If neither of those options works, you can buy the fm transmitter for the ipod, and tune in to it using FM on the HU.
    Carputer status: [-*---------]
    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Thank you very much for the help. One thing though regarding my amp. Isn't my amp already using the aux in on the HU? Will I now have to connect to the amp? How does my amp change things?

Comment

That is rca output that the amp is using... Read the manual for your HU, or look it up online, to see if it has aux in capability or cd changer control....
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Oh wait... I forgot that's not how we treat noobs...

JK
          But if you have other questions, the FAQ emporium is a good place to look!
          Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Thanks man. I just checked out my HU and I do not have an aux in, nor a cd changer option. It is an xplod cdx-4000x. I do not want to have to use a ****ty FM transmitter, so I guess my only option now is some type of adapter? I'm still reading the threads, but once again any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by BriZad
              Thanks man. I just checked out my HU and I do not have an aux in, nor a cd changer option. It is an xplod cdx-4000x. I do not want to have to use a ****ty FM transmitter, so I guess my only option now is some type of adapter? I'm still reading the threads, but once again any help is greatly appreciated.
              The adapters are for use in the cd changer input, which unfortunately you don't have. Aside from an FM transmitter, the only option I can see is some complex wire splicing into the amp.... and Im not sure if that can even be done with an Ipod, but I bet it can. I am not knowledgable on that process, however, so it will require a lot of searching. Good luck.
              Im thinking laptop...

Comment

for ipod you say? there are options such as www.carplayer.com.

The Neo iON provides a direct connect to most factory and aftermarket car stereos. When the adaptor is connected your car stereo buttons will control the iPod, the iPod battery will charge, and the sound will play from your car stereo speakers. This is the best iPod car adaptor kit available on the market.

# Features Compatible with iPod 3rd Generation, 4th Generation, and iPod Mini MP3 Player.
                # Works with most vehicles – plugs directly into the CD changer port.

The iPod car kit includes a 11.5' (3.5M) cable that plugs directly into your iPod. The other side of this cable plugs into the CD changer port on the back of your car stereo – there is no FM modulation.

Once the cable is plugged in your car will charge and power your iPod, as well as control it (Next/Previous track, FF/RW) using your car stereos existing buttons (steering wheel controls if you have them).

Comment

He said he doesnt have a cd changer port...
                  Im thinking laptop...

Comment

RCA "Y" connectors where your amp plugs into your head unit. One side of the Y on each connector plugs into your headunit. Then plug your amp into the connector. The other side of the connector goes to an RCA to 1/8" cable you buy. Plug the 1/8" cable into your iPod. Turn the radio off when you listen to the iPod.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                      RCA "Y" connectors where your amp plugs into your head unit. One side of the Y on each connector plugs into your headunit. Then plug your amp into the connector. The other side of the connector goes to an RCA to 1/8" cable you buy. Plug the 1/8" cable into your iPod. Turn the radio off when you listen to the iPod.
                      It's a bird. It's a plane. Nope, it's BUGBYTE to the rescue.

Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                        It's a bird. It's a plane. Nope, it's BUGBYTE to the rescue.

Michael
                        Just feelin' sorry for some of the newbies lately!
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:

Comment

You've done so much. FAQ after FAQ, and then a FAQ about the FAQs.

Your my hero

Michael
                          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Maybe you could get your title changed from FLAC to FAQ or FAQ YOU!
                            Only true postwhores remember everything they post

REP CLUB IS DEAD
                            LONG LIVE REP CLUB

Comment

I like that! FAQ You! Brilliant.

Say...did I mention that RCA screens look like crap compared to VGA?
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X