Grounding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding?

Ok, I'm new to the whole car electronics/customization thing, but I want to learn. Been viewing the forum for quite some time here and im learning a lot, but I need to know...what is grounding, what does it accomplish, and how does one do it?

Thanks in advance!

grounding is like the NEGATIVE part on a battery do some searchin and ull find alot more info but if you dont ground something it wont work :-P

Comment

Electricity flows in a loop, from one pole of the battery, back to the other. In a car, the negative pole on the battery is connected to the chassis of the car, effectively creating a path of conduction from any metal point on the car. Grounding is the process of ensuring that the negative wire on your electronic components is connected to the negative pole of your battery, either by directly connecting it, or by connecting it to your car's chassis. However, your car is not a perfect conductor and problems can arise.

For more information, click the link to the FAQ Emporioum in my signature and look for item #1 under "Installation Issues", "Getting rid of that whine in your speakers"
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by BaFo0N36
        Ok, I'm new to the whole car electronics/customization thing, but I want to learn. Been viewing the forum for quite some time here and im learning a lot, but I need to know...what is grounding, what does it accomplish, and how does one do it?

Thanks in advance!
        Grounding accomplishes many things, it depends on when it is used.

A brief start,

Electricity is made up of electrons. Electrons will not "flow" unless there is a destination and an origin (This is very basic) The origin is the positive side of the battery, and the destination is the negative side of the battery, or an earth ground. Connecting power to a device, such as a television, will do nothing, unless that television is connected to a ground, because the electrons will not "flow" through the TV. The bigger the wire leading to the device (television) and the bigger the wire leading to ground, the more "power" it can handle. A large power wire to the TV can carry lots of electrons, but if the path to ground is smaller, the amount of leftover electrons might be too much for the wire, and will cause problems since the "extra" electrons have to go somewhere. Most of the time, they will get converted to heat, which can lead to a fire.

Sometimes grounding is used to "shield" other wires from the surrounding environment. The flow of electrons in a wire can create a magnetic field, similar to an electromagnet. Sometimes this is desired, such as in an electric motor, and sometimes it is not desired, such as when many wires are run together. The electromagnetic field created in the wire can cause problems/interference on wires that are carrying "signals". The interference can be reduced/eliminated by "shielding" the wires. Shielding basically causes the electrons to flow straight to ground, and not be able to "get" to the protected wires. You can also "shield" the offending wire, the one creating the electromagnetic field, to keep it from effecting other wires.

Sometimes shielding is done to keep energy inside the wire, such as in Antenna coax cable.

There are many uses to ground. You can do some searching to learn more about grounding and shielding.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Working...
        X