Motherboard/PC for my car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard/PC for my car

Hey guys. I have been on here searching for a while and still need some assistance. I know I can only use 150 watts to use for a DC-DC power supply. I have a XFX Geforce 5500 video card I want to use because it has a dual video output that I would like to use. I'm just having problems selecting a motherboard for it and plus keeping the power below 150 watts. I really need a motherboard that will support Frodoplayer and play mp3, div-x, GPS, and mpeg.

I really need a suggestion on which board to buy to support those and be able to use a opus.
    http://www.avowners.com/Photos/TNFRH...2007191244.jpg

Hey,

Im using an IBM Netvista, it cost me 100euro from ebay, and it came with the following Spec - !Ghz PIII - 256 Ram and CDROM 20GB HDD, i upgraded this to 512 ram, DVD and a 40GB Harddrive for less than 50 euro more, im running it off an opus 120 watt as soon as i recieve it and will be replacing the onboard graphics with a pci grforce 2. Really if your in Europe its a great option as imprt duties from the US can be quite prohibitive. 150euro for the entire system than more powerul than an M13000 the business.
    P4 Celeron 2.2 - 512MB - OPUS 250 - Audigy SE - BU353 - HQCT - No Speakers though :-(

Comment

I assume that is a AGP card, if so you will need a PIII and that will take a lot of power to run. Check arround for a power requirement calculator i've seen some on the internet but not sure were.
      VIA EPIA V 1.1ghz
      512mb memory
      40gig 3.5" HDD
      Slim Line DVD/CDRW
      80w DC-DC Monex psu (fried 2, working on #3)
      8" Datalux TS LCD
      Sound Blaster USB

Comment

No its a PCI Card, the PIII only uses 27W of power so powering it is not an issues with an 120Watt Opus as the stock power supply is a 95watt. Also the header on the mb is a true atx, hard to find in the mainstream SSF from the likes of Compaq so it was simply PlugNPlayto Install the Opus.
        P4 Celeron 2.2 - 512MB - OPUS 250 - Audigy SE - BU353 - HQCT - No Speakers though :-(

Comment

The opus power supplies can handle more power then you think.

My problem was looking at PCs and thinking in Pc terms. I.E - wow this midsized tower has a 400watt ps in it.

The opus is rater for the normal output it can output - not the max as PC ps are.

Point is - get a mobo with as much intergrated stuff on it as you can (intergrated stuff almost always uses less power then expansion cards)

I got a shuttle mobo with intergrated video that support dual monitors right on the mobo.

...look around im sure you can find the voltage calcualtor around here ...that put me at ease when i used it.

GOOD LUCK
          2002 Suzuki Aerio Sedan ...NOT the stupid wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad
            I assume that is a AGP card, if so you will need a PIII and that will take a lot of power to run. Check arround for a power requirement calculator i've seen some on the internet but not sure were.
            Why would he need a PIII if it were an AGP card?

The Biostar NCG440 has 3 PCI slots 1 AGP slot, onboard video/sound/network. You probably don't have to worry about overpowering the Opus. Check my sig for my setup which is running on an Opus.
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

You guys are running the topic off its subject. The video card is a AGP card. I really want motherboard suggestions because it seems all the ones I have wanted consume too much watts. I know I can wire a second power supply to control other accessories but still want to get to the heart of the project, the motherboard.

I want a motherboard that will play .divx, .mp3, and .mpg. I wont do no dual zone with video in the back and music in the front. I will be doing GPS on a front monitor and mp3 or video on the rest of the monitors, which explains why I want the video card. I have been searching and see that someone is making a 220 watt DC/DC power supply so that should help out. And yes I have been searching around the forums for motherboard selections and I've been seeing what works for their particular situation. So someone suggest a good board for my project, whether it be a AMD XP, P3 or EPIA.

Comment

DFI K8M800-MLVF K8M800 Audio/Video/SATA/LAN/USB/IEEE/8X-AGP/DDR-400/u-ATX Athlon 64.
                MSI K8TM-ILSR K8T800 DDR-400/SATA/USB/IEEE/8X-AGP/Audio/LAN/U-ATX Athlon 64 45.00 US at monarchcomputers.com

use a DTRWMobile processor.

Comment

I seen the power supply you're talking about. I was thinking about it for my setup since I need about 220 watts.

Comment

I like the looks of the MSI K8TM-ILSR K8T800. I used a power calculator and see that if I use a athlon 64, 2 sticks of ddr memory(1gb), a 3.5" hard drive, sound card and video card; the power should be around 260 watts. I could cut down on some of the power if I connect the hard drive, sound card, DVD-ROM drive to a different power supply, the motherboard and components would only be 206 watts and I could use this power supply http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53559. Or at least I hope.

Comment

Working...
                    X