Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carputer

Hey all,
    I am new to these forums, but have been thinking about doing some sort of carputer in my car for about 4 months now. I am going to be putting my carputer in the trunk, and mounting the monitor on my dash, so that I can take the monitor out of the car at any time if I did want to (i.e. leaving the car in a parking lot for an extended amount of time, vacation or something).

So anyway I was looking for input on how you think this system setup would be for me. The only things I am going to be doing on this system is listening to music, navigating and watching dvd's.

Shuttle PC Case and Motherboard
    I would like to stick with this one because it is small, comes with a PSU and a mobo and size doesnt matter because the trunk in my car is enormous.

Processor
    Think this is fast enough for the things I will be using it for? (above)

Hard Drive: 80 gig Seagate 7200 RPM (have it already)
    I dont think I need larger because I also have an 80 gig external I could hook up if I needed to.

Disc Drive
    I dont need a burner, just able to watch dvd's and install/run programs.

Memory
    Think I will need more memory? Im not sure how much I will need for those things.

GPS Reciever

GPS Software

Xenarc VGA Touchscreen Monitor
    Good? Bad? Reccomendations?

DVD Software: Intervideo WINDvD
    MP3 Player: iTunes; I was going to use WinAmp but iTunes has easier integration with the my iPod for synching and stuff.

Is there anything else that you think I would need? Im just looking for some input and advice as how to best install. If I think of anything else I will add it.

Thanks

I'm not really sure, I just got into this also, been thinking about it for a few months, and I get my screen today .

But on another note, where abouts in MA are you? I am in Bristol, RI and have family up in Hull, MA.
    :: '97 2.5 TL :: CarPC 1.0: Complete :: CarPC 2.0: 95% ::

Comment

I personally think you'd be better off with iGuidance and the Royaltek Sapphire reciever for GPS. Also, what about power? I don't know much about the shuttle, but it's infinitely easier to use a DC to DC power supply over an inverter.. (when all is said and done, especially when you need a power sequencer)

A power controller, either part of the DC-DC power supply, or seperate, is needed to automate power on/off for the carputer. You'll definitely want one of those..

Also, are you planning on having it work in conjunction with your current stereo, or in place of?

Comment

Take a look at the FAQ Emporium. To go there, click the link in my signature. You'll find info on power supplies and GPS software and receivers. There may be one or two other items if interest in there as well.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Do you have a link to either of those, Jahntassa?

Thanks for the input, and the FAQ guides.

Comment

Originally posted by shooptek
            Do you have a link to either of those, Jahntassa?

Thanks for the input, and the FAQ guides.
            You can find everything here: http://www.google.com
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

iGuidance is at http://www.inavcorp.com

Check the FAQs or the mp3car.com store for power controllers.

Comment

I use the Royaltek Sapphire. Good GPS unit. Works well.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

DarquePervert: Thanks for the help Couldnt have figured that one out on my own.

Jahntassa: Couldnt find that on google, only found like places talking about it.
                  Bugbyte: Ok I will use that one.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                    You can find everything here: http://www.google.com

::::slap::::
                    (All done)
                    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Working...
                    X