No announcement yet.

Newbie install views please

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie install views please

Hey guys i ve been checking out this website for a while and wondering if anyone could tell me if i have made the right choice in components. Here we go:

The mobo and processor

the hd

The gps

Slim line IDE adapter

Of course i'll need ram screen etc... but will i be able to power it up right away or not?I'm a bit confused with the carnetix. I know it ll be batt-->through car-->carpc, but does that mean it is the psu of it connects to one?Thanks guys

i cant see anything wrong off top of my head. let me know how the GPS is

yep will do. just the carnetix how does that work,i m still a little confused?

The Carnetix is a regulator only. Unless your case has a power supply, you will need both the Carnetix and a PSU. Check the FAQ Emporium for a discussion of power supplies. Click on the link in my sig to go there.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

i read the faq, thanks for that. This might sound stupid but i am still confused.So i can use any power supply that fits into a tower?I'm guessing the Wattage won't matter because the carnetix decides that right?Would this do? Thanks

Nope. That won't do. That takes 230v AC.

What a carnetix does it take your car's VERY rough 7-15 volts and transforms it into a nice clean 18, 19 or 20 volts. A PSU will take that and transform it into 5v, 12v, -12v, 3.3v, and throw a bit of extra circuitry your computer needs in there. Some PSU's don't need a carnetix, but people use them because it helps during cranking. When you turn oyur car on the voltage drops super-low, and the carnetix doesnt mind. Some PSU's will not be able to handle the low votage and will reboot your computer.

ahh i get it now.Well it doesnt do what i want, so i'll get this instead that should work right?I need to be able to power my pc directly from my battery and for it to switch on and off with the ignition. Correct?