Powered USB Hub HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powered USB Hub HELP!!

I searched, really didnt get me too far since I couldnt find a similar situation...

anyhow, to those that can help me... i have a usb hub 2.0 (powered) input is 5volts at 2.6amps, how should I go about hooking it up to my powersupply? its an OPUS 120watt. I tried to the molex connector but it doesnt like it, I know I should go to radio shack, which I did but they have no idea.... so can someone be really helpful to me and tell me what should I get from radioshack?

also for my dvd drive which is 5volts at 1amp... THANKS SOO MUCH

-MIke

What do you mean it didn't like it?

You should be able to lop off the connector for the AC adaptor that came with the USB hub and wire that to the 5V line from the PSU and do the same for the DVD ROM.

Comment

It started to smoke the USB hub... could it be that i connected the polarities wrong?

Comment

If you connected to the 5v coming off of the Opus, then the polarities were wrong, or it was a bad hub. Although, you could've connected to the 12v line too. That would've smoked the hub regardless of polarity.
        2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
        7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
        80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

it was connected to the red and blck... red positive... and i was pretty damn sure i got the polarity right. My question is how many amps does the opus give off... 5 watts is 1amp, but i need 2.6 for my hub

Comment

1hr Bump...

my car is apart, radio shack open for 1 more hour... want to get this done!!! ahhhh!

-Mike

Comment

The Opus doesn't give off any current until something draws it... It will only draw what it needs.
              Old setup
              Epia M10k, Cubid 2699R case, 512MB, 40GB 3.5" drive
              New setup
              Optiplex 260SX (2.8GHz P4, 512MB, 30GB, DVD)
              Xenarc 700IDT, USB hub, 802.11g, bluetooth, P2140, P5V

Comment

Reg on ATX power supply should be +5V. Did you check it with a volt meter to make sure that it was +5V?

If it was +5V and the hub smoked, refer to what kiltjim said. Not enough amperage shouldn't smoke anything. It will just cause the devices to suffer.

Edit: I meant 'Red', not 'Reg'.
                EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

hmm, so what if i ran off the 12volt line, i think its at 2.4amp, i will check.... if i drop down the voltage, will teh amp drop as well?

Comment

The 12v would probably kill the hub...

I'll say it again, the opus will only supply the current that the hub and attached devices are drawing. It could be capable of supplying 1000A but it would still only supply what is required. Just like a car battery supplys low current to certain things but high current to the starter motor
                    Old setup
                    Epia M10k, Cubid 2699R case, 512MB, 40GB 3.5" drive
                    New setup
                    Optiplex 260SX (2.8GHz P4, 512MB, 30GB, DVD)
                    Xenarc 700IDT, USB hub, 802.11g, bluetooth, P2140, P5V

Comment

hmm, i dindt know that... i thought if it output of amperage is 4amp it will supply 4amps even if not needed

so basically what i said in last post, to take 12volt line and drop it to 5volt is a waste of time.

I will go now and tap it into the 5volt line

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it

-Mike

Comment

Okay before attempting something on this magnitutde, you are going to have to gain a better knowledge of electronics. Ohm's law would be a good start.

If you hooked it to the 12v+ line, the hub is garbage. Unless you know how to SMD solder, there is no hope of recovering it.

Voltage doesn't drop with less amperage drop, and vise versa. If a device is designed to run on a given voltge, it is going to pull upto a certain amount of amperage.
                        2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                        7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
                        80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

AHHHHH!!!

Problem #2: HUB power light on, USB connections led on hub on, Computer detects it, doesnt work though?

what can it be... ahhhh!

atleast i put the car back together..... told you ill be done friday, this is my only prob... prob easy fix

Thanks again
                          -Mike

Comment

Dude there is no mystery why it is not working here....you hooked it up to the 12V rail and fried the mofo. Buy a new hub

Comment

i didnt hook it up to the 12volt anytime, i may be a newb but not color blind. It was alwasys hooked up to the floppy red and black line. The computer picks up on it... the dvd drive hooked up by USB shows me what files are on the dvd... however my mouse wont work?! Its a microsoft USB mouse

Comment

Working...
                              X