New guy with lots of questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with lots of questions.

Well, I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, smack me around and call me Susan. hehe

My name is Toby and I've been in love with cars and computers for around 5 years now and figured it was time to combine the two. I have looked on this site and many others for information but things seem too dang complicated than what they need to be(the terms some people use). I don't want to have to write my own programs to control different devices. I just want to buy products, hook them up and use them.

Here's a little bit about my system:
    -2.93 GHz (340) Celeron D Processor
    -Mach Speed pm9ms(or something like that) MOBO
    -160GB Maxtor ATA133 HDD
    -2 Lite-On DL DVD-burners
    -1GB of pc3200 RAM
    -Running Windows XP Pro

Now for the questions. If you hate it when questions are asked over and over again and tell people to use the "Search" button than you may want to exit this thread now. lol

Digital Time Correction for PC.
    Is this possible? If so what kind of programs allows one to do this? I downloaded CNS Maestro 2.0, under the "setup" button it looks like it will do this...does anyone know if it really will?

Relay Controllers. I would like to turn on/off my neon lights with my Computer and maybe even operate the windows or something. What is the best device to do this? I would rather not pay over $50 for such a unit. I found the "pVIC" unit from DashWerks.com(hope that's ok to use their name on here) that sells for $40...is this a good relay controller to buy?

Air Conditioning controllers. I've considered operating my heater and a/c through the computer too. Is there an EASY way of doing this? I've seen articles that tell how to use servos and yadda yadda but that's a lot more work than it's worth..to me anyway.

Start up/Shut down controllers. Which one do you guys and gals recommend? Thus far the CarPC Pro unit is looking mighty tempting. I like the 2 temp sensors.

And lastly

Carputer Programs. What's the best program to use to control a carputer? The kind of program I'm talking about is the kind that has the large buttons such as "MultiMedia", "GPS", "TV", "Internet"...it makes the carputer easier to navigate through. I downloaded CNS Maestro 2.0 but is there a better one out there? Again, I don't want to spend a lot of money(at most $50 since I got the CNS program for free).

I'm sure a lot of these topics have been beaten to death before on this site. For that I apologize...I just don't want to spend days and days filtering through posts looking for info that I (personally) can actually use. I don't have a lot of time to do that.

Thanks gals and guys!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sho...=wiring+diagram
    03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
    Carputer Planning |---------*|
    Overall Implementation |---------*-|
    (Stereo complete)
    Computer installed and working

Comment

I just don't want to spend days and days filtering through posts looking for info that I (personally) can actually use. I don't have a lot of time to do that.
      If there's one thing you need to complete a nice carputer system it's time...

Second; unless you are trying to make Jurassic Park IV in your car, you really have to reconsider your hardware, otherwise you gonna have a lot of trouble to power this up!
      Finished!
      pc 99% - install 100% - audio 100%

Comment

I say this thread gets two more "Search, noob!"s and dies.
        iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
        CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Phythorian
          Second; unless you are trying to make Jurassic Park IV in your car, you really have to reconsider your hardware, otherwise you gonna have a lot of trouble to power this up!
          Are you saying that my system will be too large or what? Just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

I just don't want this to turn into some lengthy arse project when there is no need for it. I already have amps and subs that I need to install and have been sitting around for a while. Time on the install isn't a big deal to me anyway, I'll do whatever it takes to get it done right.

Also, I posted this earlier: "If you hate it when questions are asked over and over again and tell people to use the "Search" button than you may want to exit this thread now." If no one can answer my questions or if searching through pages of articles that may or may not be helpful is the only way to answer my questions than that's what I will do.

Comment

I see no reason for two dvd burners.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega-Tron

I just don't want this to turn into some lengthy arse project when there is no need for it.
              Ha! this "project" NEVER stops dude.
              AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
              "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Power will be the largest barrier. Meaning the PC parts will take more electricity than most DC-DC solutions have. That leaves an inverter... with the potential issues they have.

As for controlling the lights it will be less expensive to just use a switch... even if the PC controls the lights you will likely have to push a botton on the PC to turn on and off the lights when you want. Just put the switch in the dash or somewhere else.

No such thing in the car PC world as a one size fits all answer.
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Omega-Tron
                  ...I just don't want to spend days and days filtering through posts looking for info that I (personally) can actually use. I don't have a lot of time to do that.
                  Go to the FAQ Emporium. Read the FAQs. It takes time but it isn't pages and pages of information you can't use. If that's too time consuming, don't even think about trying to install a computer.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                    Go to the FAQ Emporium. Read the FAQs. It takes time but it isn't pages and pages of information you can't use. If that's too time consuming, don't even think about trying to install a computer.
                    YOU SAID IT Bugbyte!!
                    03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
                    (Stereo complete)

Comment

think we could remove the whole newbie forum altogether? from what i see, any noob's questions can be answered by because almost all of the topics have been covered before.

just a thought from a fellow previous noob.
                      Brushed Metal for Centrafuse 1.4
                      Brushed Aluminum for Centrafuse 1.4

xenarc 700ts | via epia-m10k | audigy2 nx | holux gm-210 | usb wifi | 40gb 2.5" | slot-load dvd-cdrw | morex 3688 | opus 150w | centrafuse, iguidance

Comment

Buy a nice, big A$$ inverter to power your setup.
                        When you get into carPC game, there is NO ending.
                        You will need A LOT of TIME to search, read, search , read, search read, and installation. Perfection take time.
                        Now money is another issue.
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I want to be nice and help too but crap, it gets old saying the stuff over and over and over again. BugByte was right, if your not willing to search, maybe you shouldn't be doing this project.
                          (Stereo complete)

Comment

Why do you need two DVD Burners in your car? Why would you need two in your house??!?

2.93GHz is nice, but its overkill. Get a Celeron, or a cheap p4, or even an AMD, which are great prices, and use the money you save for an Opus or that nicer touchscreen.

1GB of ram is too much, overkill, I have 2GB in my home comp, and I cant tell the differnce from 1 GB, go with 256MB, or if wanting more, 512MB, but personally, I'd do 256MB and get a better quality ram, than spend the money on 512.

Oh and Search the FAQ's
                            Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                            Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                            Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                            CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                            NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Hey i like to help people who help themselves and make an effort at that....by the looks of your first post...you havent read a single thread on this website.coz if you had you would have answeres to ALL your questions including the almost 8 FREE frontends that you can download right here on this site. My advise is you pay someone lots and lots of money to do the research and install for you OR take some time, and do some research. Dont get me wrong....i love to help people and im not trying to be ugly but damn man you have to do some of your own work here.......
                              http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/856246

Please visit my new site http://www.Gigabitcustoms.com

My worklog http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52720

Comment

Working...
                              X