Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with a billion questions. (Tech side of things)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a billion questions. (Tech side of things)

Hello all,

I finally put together a carputer. Its a bit on the weak side, as I'm only wanting to use it to play mp3s off a massive hdd.

Car-
    1996 Ford Tauris SE(Coupe)

Carputer-
    HP Pavillion gutted and reassembled into a custom case.

60 gig hard drive.
    Onboard sound card.

Programs:
    Winamp 2.95
    PalmAMP plug-in.

Basically, I wanted to make the cheapest possible Mp3 box for my car. I found this old fashioned giant steel toolbox at work. Sanded it down, cut it up, primed and painted it then set the computer up within.(Pics will come when final install is completed). I'm using an old Palm Pilot to cycle through the mp3s and playlists, thanks to a little plug in called PalmAmp. The computer was also found at work, as they were trowing it out to make room for the new computers being brought in. Everything is on the cheap.

Now, I've got everything running smoothly on Windows 98. My problem is, I'm unsure of the settings I should have the computer on. Its going to be a cold boot and shut down. Basically, I'll be taking the invertor in and out for powering the machine.

Now, I know people around these parts have done much fancier things with their carputers, but I basically just don't want the hassle of fumbling through cds. I know there are tweaks and settings, etc. for the computer to just start up using winamp only, nothing else. Anyone on the computer/techie side of things have any advice? Any and all help would be appreciated.

i disabled that stupid "you did not shut down your computer properly" crap.
    checkie thise outtie
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui
    03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
    Carputer Planning |---------*|
    Overall Implementation |---------*-|
    (Stereo complete)
    Computer installed and working

Comment

Originally posted by techeros
      checkie thise outtie
      You sir are a godsend. This is a start at the very least. Any other suggestions?

I know there is a way so that just winamp loads without anything else. It was a file command or something. I basically just want it to boot up and run winamp.

Comment

ok
        in winblows 98, add winamp to your startup folder I think it goes somethin like this

c:\windows\desktop\startup programs akk I can't remember been too long
        drag and drop winamp over startup folder from the start menu
        ahh I cant remember!!!

here's somethin else
        http://www.onecomputerguy.com/win98_tips.htm
        03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
        (Stereo complete)

Comment

Wow..your just nonstop! Thanks!

I'm just curious if there's a way to just run winamp. Like, not even explorer loads..I know there was some weird way to do it, but all the old guides for making car mp3 players are lost to the new way of things..

Comment

checkie thise outtie
            Are you using WinXP? I don't see that option in my TweakUI.
            iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
            CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

i think i used tweak ui for 98. I'm sure you can use it fer xp. perhaps there is an updated tweakui for xp? google it
              (Stereo complete)

Comment

ok
                in winblows 98, add winamp to your startup folder I think it goes somethin like this

c:\windows\desktop\startup programs akk I can't remember been too long
                drag and drop winamp over startup folder from the start menu
                ahh I cant remember!!!
                I think the path is C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
                If that isn't right just click start>programs and double-click startup. That should open up the startup folder.
                Australian TRX Forums: Pintara/Corsair/Stanza/Bluebird/Altima info

Comment

Working...
                X