Will this work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work

Hi ive been looking about the site and Im now thinking i need a computer in my car.
    This is what i figured i would try as i have an old(ish) computer sitting in my house.
    Buy an Opus 150w supply.
    then attach it to my old computer which is an athlon 2000xp in a midi case with one 120gig hard drive and one dvd rom.

I will get a screen too. but basicly err will that work?
    thanks Lee

Yeah, you should be fine.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee232
      Hi ive been looking about the site and Im now thinking i need a computer in my car.
      This is what i figured i would try as i have an old(ish) computer sitting in my house.
      Buy an Opus 150w supply.
      then attach it to my old computer which is an athlon 2000xp in a midi case with one 120gig hard drive and one dvd rom.

I will get a screen too. but basicly err will that work?
      thanks Lee

It might work depending on how conservative you want to be with your power estimates.

In the FAQ section, there's a power supplies post. It has two links to power supply calclulators:
      http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
      http://carpc.kyferez.com/Tools/PSUWattageCalculator.php

I ran some estimates, making some assumptions. I came up with 188 or 165. You're not WAY off, depending on whether you want to be conservative or not and how close my assumptions (ram, fans, video, usb devices etc) are to reality.
      My worklog.
      Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

Great thanks, i also just had a look at those calculators, i might try finding a smaller processer. For the mobile processers do i need a new motherboard for one of them? or can they fit into the current socket?
        Ive just orderd my Opus so i will initially try it and see what happens i think.
        Thanks Lee

Comment

The mobile amd athlon will fit in the same socket but that does not necessarily mean that the motherboard will recognize it or operate properly. The mobos that most people here use with the mobile athlon are the Biostar M7NCG 400, Asus A7N8X-VM(requires pin, check FAQ Section), and the Shuttle SN41G2 (not too sure on the model).
          Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Excellent thanks for the help, i will look those up now.

Comment

Use on board graphics and sound and cut the ram to 256 I think it'll probably work. Think about potentially powering an external usb hub elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro
                the Biostar M7NCG 400, Asus A7N8X-VM(requires pin, check FAQ Section).
                Um ive had a look in the FAQs but im not entirly sure what i am looking for, i not sure what you mean when you say requires pin?

oops sorry i found it i was clicking on the worng part somehow

Comment

Originally posted by Lee232
                  Um ive had a look in the FAQs but im not entirly sure what i am looking for, i not sure what you mean when you say requires pin?

oops sorry i found it i was clicking on the worng part somehow
                  sorry about the typo, I was missing a word, it was suspose to say 'pin mod'.
                  Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X