'90 Camry... Doable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 Camry... Doable?

I have a '90 Toyota Camry. A friend of mine has had a navigation system installed in his car, and as I do alot of traveling I would like to get one myself. He got his installed professionally, but I would like to attempt to install mine by myself.

I saw the Lilliput 7" screen, which seems to be a pretty good display, but I am wondering where to mount it. Has anyone else installed an LCD in an older Camry? Where my radio is, I have a small pocket under it which is pretty much useless. I have not measured it, but an LCD MAY fit in there. If thats the case then would it be worth it to try placing an LCD down there, or just mount it on the top someplace. I have installed my own remote start and door locks in it so far, but I am afraid to touch anything that is visible, incase I mess up and have a gaping hole in my dash. [Found some links to some specs/pictures,
    Picture of dash Toyota audio pinouts ]

I plan on using a laptop (500mhz 192mb 6GB drive) as the computer, as I have one just sitting here doing nothing. I am not sure if thats the best idea, so I may bite the bullet and get one of those mini-itx boxes.

Also I still have the factory radio, which does not have a tape/cd player of any kind. I have an iPod which all my music is on, and I transmit it to the radio through an FM transmitter. I would like to move that to a more permanent setup (and save batteries powering the transmitter), but I am pretty sure my radio doesnt support a line in. I dont need a cd/tape, but I would still like to use FM. What would you guys recommend? A new amp,
    USB FM reciever and just use the carpc for audio from now on? What kind of amp would I be looking for? I dont need some huge amp, just a simple one thats equal to the factory one.

Not very easy. Your shifter will be blocking most of the screen.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Well, from the drivers seat I would be able to see the screen clearly, especially if I somehow made it pivit slightly so its facing me.

Comment

Originally posted by doughecka
        Well, from the drivers seat I would be able to see the screen clearly, especially if I somehow made it pivit slightly so its facing me.
        Not the most ergonomic though
        The shifter location ruins the double din... plus they are too low
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Well, I could somehow mount the display on top of the dash... Just somehow glue/screw it down. Problem is that it messes up the top of the dash, and possibly gets in the way. Or I could project it up on the windshield, like some sort of HUD.

Comment

Only solution for you would be to get rid of your center AC vents
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

good idea
              2006 Camry
              Compaq Laptop
              Holux GPS Iguidance 3.0
              7" Xenarc Touch Screen
              Carnetix 1900 Power Supplied, Wireless b/g

Comment

Well, I just got back from a drive, and I was looking for places to put the LCD. I think a much better place is up on the dash, beside the the clock and right above the vents. It would cover a thin vent that is rarely used to blow air up and over to the rear seat, which I can do without. It doesnt block my vision at all, and is much closer to my line of site. This area is near a point where the 2 dash pieces meet, so I could easily fit a bracket through one and mount the LCD to it. Know of any good tutorials on how to do that without destroying the car?

Once I have an LCD, I could either mount the computer where the radio is/was, and put a new amp deeper in the dash (I dont know how much empty space is in there, so I may have to put the computer under my seat instead. Whats a recommended spot to place the pc?)

Comment

On mounting the LCD...
                  I was thinking of getting it all professionally done, so all the cables are wired ok, and that the LCD can be mounted so it doesnt look like I did it myself. Has anyone had a pro do all the work? If so, how much does that normally cost? I dont think I could manufacture a bracket that I could hook the LCD to, considering I dont even know what I would attach it to.

Comment

Don't get it professionally done. Got a pic of how u wanna mount it?
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Let me get a pic. I have made a bracket that might work, but I may need to aim for a thicker metal so it doesnt bend as easy. Got any suggestions on a mounting bracket? I am looking to mount it up above my dash. It actually looks like it might fit great if I can figure out how to mount it. I think my laptop will be a good system to use, since its got a battery inside, thus I could just have it turn off 5 min after it looses power. I was reading on how to get it to bootup, and I think the wake-on-ring might work, but I will have to test.

Comment

Over the top of the dash is an option, but sun glair will be much worse up there unless you recess it in a housing...

I look at your dash & see a solution that I would do... it involves replacing &/or modifiying that monsterous ugly shifter handle in the first place, & relocating the climate controls down...
                        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

True, but I really dont want to mess with all that. The climate control is all mechanical, so its too much trouble. If I could get a gooseneck mount of somesort, I could move the display all over the place if the need arises.

Comment

& also, to have it professionally done ISN'T THE WORSE THING.... dispite what anyone else here will tell you, if you don't have the skills, time or tools & materials to do it right that can be a good option...
                            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I don't recommend trying it this way, but it was quick, easy, dirty, and if mostly worked.

My very first lcd attempt in my Tacoma had a similar dash setup. What I did was mount the LCD in a headrest shroud, then run speaker wire through the holes in the shroud, and through the bottom grill part of the AC vents, then twisted the wires together. I lost the ability to aim the vents where I wanted them since they were weighed down, but the LCD was easy to flip up and get to the AC controls.

Just keep an eye on condensation on the back of the LCD. I had it mounted on the top of the AC vent grill orignially, but the condensation was much heavier when mounted up there, and it blocked off ALL the air.

Comment

Working...
                              X