I a question or 2 about carpcs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I a question or 2 about carpcs...

I've read these forums quite a bit since I found them yesterday, and I've changed from wanting a PS2 in my car, to wanting a PC...

I've decided I want to use linux, because the thought of micro$oft in my car scares the hell outa me.

I was thinking of mounting it, no-case to the bottom of the passenger seat, or under the back driver side seat.

Under the back driver-side seat, there is a box that has a jack in it. I was thinking of cutting all that out, and making a special box for my woofer, to sit down in there.

Do you think say mounting it onto of the woofer box would cause many problems, because of the constant thumping?

I work at a small computer shop, so I can get all the parts I need for a computer for free or really cheap. So my only purchase would be the LCD(s).

When I get my hands on a digital camera I'll take a picture or two of the interior, because I have a couple of questions on rearranging it to make room for the LCD...
    | | | | | | | | | | | |
    Planning/Theory Stage

What kind of car is it?

Mounting your PC on top of the woofer will subject it to constant vibration over and above that in the car. I won't say it can't be done, but it seems to me like you're introducing an unnecessary failure point into the system.

You'll need a power supply for your computer in addition to the LCD screen. Take a walk over to the "FAQ Emporium" and read some of the threads there to help get you started. Then look in the "Show off your project" forum to see if you car is in there as well.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Toyota Tacoma (sp?) LX.

I have an X Mods car, that broke, and I haven't gotten around to fixing it, and I realised that the case would be perfect for a computer, if I cut some fan holes. so I'm going to do that. and sit it under the passenger seat.

I set up a webpage with my ideas/specs:
      http://jabird.com/truck/carpc.php

I haven't done much research on the prices yet. I'll be able to get the motherboard/processor free or fairly cheap because of my job, I think my major purchase will be the LCD panel.

I've still got to find a way to get power to the PC. but I think I can figure it out.

I'll go read the FAQ's for a while then...
      | | | | | | | | | | | |
      Planning/Theory Stage

Comment

Working...
      X