No announcement yet.

Where to Install the monitor

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Install the monitor

Well I am 15 and I just finished rebuilding a 77 Chevy Nova and I want to put a computer w/ an 8'' touch screen monitor in my car for music, war driving, GPS, ect. So my main question is, where should I put it, I dont want to drill or put any adhesive on the dash that would later ruine the interior when I remove it. I also want it in an easily accessable place to view and use. I was thinking of putting it right in the middle above the tranny hump thing.

Heres my car...

Fashion a bracket out of sheet metal and attach it between the new headunit hanging under the dash and the underside of the dash. Bend it up in an 'L' shape in front of the old radio in the dash and mount the screen over top of it.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Get something like this hack it up and put the screen down under the dash in it

ebay floor console
      2003 100th harley F-150
      PCChips C3 VIA/eden, M1 ATX smart car.
      Here is my project so far: My 100TH Harley-Puter
      Ride safe

Buy my stuff: Stuff

the problem with a floor mount is glare, unless you angle it down... think of the screen as a mirror and try to look at a dark surface and not back at you or at the windows...
        EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

i'd say get a new car!

wow, thats a tough dash to work with for two reasons. one, you don't want to make permanent mods to it. two, the layout isn't very condusive to a touchscreen.

but there are a few possibilities I can think of..

you can get rid of that radio and mount a flip-out touchscreen slightly to the right of where it sits right now and try to angle it upward a little

or if you want to keep that radio you could have a flip-out touchscreen directly to the right of the radio, looks like that won't affect use of anything

or if you are willing to do something radical... put it in your door or roof.

Also, maybe do something with the sunvisor like this guy:

Post # 3000

Originally posted by 786mine
                i'd say get a new car!
                And this is coming out of the mouth of someone who owns a 98 civic ex.

well first off... good job on the rebuild and im jealous beyond words.
                  now that outta the way

i would fab a center console type partition for the screen and everything or anything else you could put in there. the bench seats look like they could use some help, a thought would be to remove them and replace them with a pair of bucket seats and then you could fab a crazy center console out of MDF board.... the limits are endless.

cup holders
                  coin holders
                  extra cigarette adapters
                  wood grain
                  screen clock compass
                  game consoles
                  full keyboard
                  pda dock
                  ipod dock
                  phone dock
                  touch pad
                  mouse pad