Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celica 2000 Carputer Plannings...a little help needed plzzz

Hey guys,

I'm planning to build a LOW budget carputer in my Celica GT-S Year 2000(everything's stock).
    All I need to do with the carputer is to play MP3s, GPS, and Movies. Don't wanna go anywhere too deep yet, just a regular carputer for now.

Here's a list of parts I will get(Please advise if there are things I don't need listed in the list, anything missing or can be replaced with cheaper parts)

Via Epia M1000
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen LCD Monitor
    External DVD ROM
    40G-60G HDD
    OPUS 150Watt(Is this too much?)
    a small keyboard

Here is what I really need to know. I have a stock headunit and I'm unsure if it has a stock AUX-IN, can anyone answer this? or is it better to remove the headunit and wire the carputer to an amp then to the speakers??(don't want to pay for another headunit)
    And if I use the onboard sound card, how's the sound quality?

All replies will be appreciated, Thank YOU!

mmm.. that's a toughy.. im gonna go ahead and say the headunit WONT have an auxiliary(unless theres a source button and you can go to an auxiliary setting). so youre only options are to split to the amp(s) or get another head unit. I personally would say to get a new headunit for better sound quality, but that's just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by davidlkc
      Hey guys,

I'm planning to build a LOW budget carputer in my Celica GT-S Year 2000(everything's stock).
      Define 'low budget'. Under $500? You're going to have a hard time unless you have the majoprity of pieces/parets already in-hand.

All I need to do with the carputer is to play MP3s, GPS, and Movies. Don't wanna go anywhere too deep yet, just a regular carputer for now.
      You do realize that the mere act of installing a PC in your car is irregular in and of itself....

Here's a list of parts I will get(Please advise if there are things I don't need listed in the list, anything missing or can be replaced with cheaper parts)

Via Epia M1000
      Lilliput 7" Touchscreen LCD Monitor
      External DVD ROM
      40G-60G HDD
      OPUS 150Watt(Is this too much?)
      a small keyboard
      You can power all that with a cheaper PSU, but you'll lose room to expand or upgrade the system. Try an Opus 120w or an M1-ATX.
      You can alsu use the TV-out of that motherboard and run it to a cheaper screen, however the display will look marginal at best.
      You're also likely to find a cheaper 80-120GB HDD than you would a 40-60GB HDD (assuming this isn't something you already possess).

Oh yeah, you're going to need extension cables. A mouse would be helpful, as well, especially to get everything installed.

Here is what I really need to know. I have a stock headunit and I'm unsure if it has a stock AUX-IN, can anyone answer this? or is it better to remove the headunit and wire the carputer to an amp then to the speakers??(don't want to pay for another headunit)
      And if I use the onboard sound card, how's the sound quality?
      You're willing to purchase an amp, but nor a new headunit? Explain that one.
      Either way, YOU need to examine your headunit to determine if you have AUX in or controls for a CD changer. If you've got either, you can run straight into the headunit from the PC.

Sound quality is dependent on a lot of factors. Can you get good sound from the EPIA's onboard? You bet. Audiophile geeks would probably cringe at the sound quality, but they can also pinpoint differences in an MP3 ripped at 192kbps vs one ripped at 256kbs, too. I'm not that good.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You can try one of those radio transmitter thing. I use to use one when I didn't have a CD player in my old truck. It works pretty good.

Comment

FM modulators =

I would go ask in the Car audio section here and also around a celica/toyota forum about your Aux in. Give the model number and year of your stereo.

Comment

Working...
          X