No announcement yet.

getting started

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started

Hello I'm new here and am seeking some guidance. I've been lurking around the forum for a little while trying to get an idea of how to set up a PC in my truck. You guys have a lot of valuble infomation here, but I am far from a computer person on the level that you guys seem to be on. For starters, I'm trying to determine what basic components I need to build the PC itself. This is what I've gathered from what I've read so far: (I know this may be elemetary for some but please bare with me this is all totally new to me)

1. Power supply (Opus?)
    2. Motherboard (???)
    3. RAM (???)
    4. Monitor (???)
    5. CPU (???)
    6. DVD drive
    Are these all the components needed to start my build?

There are so many products out there that I have no clue what works together and such. I guess I just need help designing a good system. I have an 04 Nissan Titan and would like to have a 2DIN monitor in the dash. I'd like to at least be able to have MP3 and DVD playback, GPS Navigation and maybe satillite radio. I'm not trying to build the most expensive box out there, but something solid and performs those functions reliably. I've looked a few of the installs here, but the specifics are hard for me to follow. Please forgive me for asking for such elementary guidance, but for some reason I'm just not catching on to the lingo yet. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Many are willing to forgive, but the longer I've been on here the harder it gets especially when people, like me, start out knowing nothing but then answer other questions that you see 5 of every day.

You'll need RAM, motherboard, power supply, hard drive, and optical drive j5ust to get running. If you want to hold of on the display, you can still hook up to any old monitor until you got the cash for the Xenarc or Lilliput.

Check out the FAQ really is'll tell you things like:

** Power supply: Can be an AC-DC Inverter (less efficient, generates heat, easier setup) or a DC-DC converter (more efficient). For the DC-DC, the big names are Opus, Carnetix, M1-ATX. Amount of power needed depends on how much you plan on plugging in to it. Many use the Opus 150W, the newer 120w is probably sufficient for most people's needs. You'll also want to look into a startup/shutdown controller as well.
    ** Motherboard: Via Epia M10000 - onboard CPU, audio, video; mini-itx form factor(for small applications) and low power use
    ** RAM: 256 MB or 512 MB - depending on case this may need to be "ultraslim" The M10000 takes DDR266 MHz ram
    ** Monitor: MUST BE VGA. Lilliput or Xenarc. There are threads dedicated to which one and why. There are cheaper ones and these are also on Ebay.
    ** CPU: If you get the Via, the chip is already on the board. If you go with AMD or Intel....well, you don't need the fastest out there and most are using their leftover parts.
    ** Optical Drive: For dash use, get a slim/slot load. Panasonic makes a good one.

Most of these parts are available at the store. Check it out. Also check out he FAQ emporium.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! This gives me a good idea where to get started. I've looked at the faqs before, but my searches were way too random to be effective. I had no idea where to start and maybe I over looked it, but I didn't see anything that covered the very basic questions like what do you need at a bare minimum to get started. In any case this gives me a solid starting point to begin making plans. Thanks again.