My first electrical setup. Comments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first electrical setup. Comments?

I have a 93 jeep grand cherokee and a die hard gold battery. I want to put in a 8" LCD and a older desktop computer just to run mappoint. Nothing fancy and I have it figured out where I would put everything.

I was thinking about buying a laptop to make it easier, but heres the setup I have planned for the desktop;

Im not going to be using it too much, maybe once or twice a month for about 5 or so hours. Im not sure how it would handle the ups. The idea is that I turn off the inverter, then turn off the car, then eat or whatever for an hour or so, then turn the car on, then turn the inverter back on. This way the computer wont shut down.

I know this is a pretty inefficient way of doing it, but any suggestions?

Hard-wire the inverter or provide a better connection than the cigarette-plug...

Put the 8" directly on the 12v.

Check if your ups doesn't consume more then 400w when charging (!)

I'm very tired, so there might be other things to worry about.
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

You must go to the battery with the power for the inverter..... you'll blow that cig lighter fuse real quick.... & that's if your lucky...
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

1200 VA will probably only run for about 30 mins anyway, even with only 160w draw. Any particular reason you're going the inverter route other than the direct 12v power supplies?

Also, dealing with any sort of auto shutdown system is going to be a pain.

Beyond that, not every UPS likes working behind an inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
          1200 VA will probably only run for about 30 mins anyway, even with only 160w draw. Any particular reason you're going the inverter route other than the direct 12v power supplies?
          I didnt realize that it would only work for around 30 minutes. Im looking at other options & learning more and probably wont be setting it up this way.

I need something that will be on and run i guess 30-60 minutes atleast with the car turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X