No announcement yet.

Totally new, don't know where to start!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally new, don't know where to start!

So, my dell laptop's LCD went up, and it's gettingkinda old so I'm thinking I'll salvage some of the parts and make a carputer.

I have no idea where to start. I tried reading along the forum but it seems everyone has an idea of what they are doing and needing. I don't

So, what parts can I use from my laptop (with the exception of the LCD and components, obviously)? What else will I need for a basic unit, knowing the basics I can follow along.

Can anyone direct me somewhere to get teh scoop?

Thanks much!

P.S....I love emoticons!

two words "use search"

try searching for using a laptop or go to the FAQ emporium or even check out a worklog. Im 99% sure youll find womething to start with.

Hard drive. I can't think of anything else. The kind of RAM in a laptop is different than a regular PC's motherboard. A lot of people are using Mini-ITX boards which use standard PC RAM.

you will need to figure out how & where you are going to mount it, how you are going to power it(lind car adaptor) how you are going to turn it on & off, how you are going to interface with it(keyboard/touchscreen/mouse/etc) how you are going to mount the lcd, what lcd you want to are you going to get sound from the computer to the car stereo how many usb add ons you'll need & provide a hub in most cases that will need add'l 5v supply....& all the details involved with each one of these tasks....

then you can start to play with what software you will want to run on it & what periferals you want to add...

the best way to figure out what will work for you in your vehicle & with the skills & budget available to you would be to search & see how others have delt with these situations & what results they got.... only then can you start to know what it is that you need to do to get this in your car up & running.....

if anyone gives you an answer that you should do this, or you should do that, remember that is only there opinion..... you will be able to get better results if you look at what others have done than to just have someone tell you what THEY think you should do....

basically it's called research... & only you can research for your project.... address each issue seperatly.... you'll get a specific answer to a specific question, but if it is a comon question that has been asked 100 times before then you will just get the thrown at you, so search first, ask if you don't find an answer or two or ten...
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Also, you might actually be able to use your laptop as the carputer. What kind of specs does it have?

Post # 3000

I initially thought that's what he ment.....reading it again I see that's not necissarily what he ment.... yeah, maybe you can use the laptop base complete as car pc.....if not then you have to add selecting a form factor & other basic stuff to the list.....

Cool, thanks. Yea, I know the searchman pretty well, but wasn't quite sure what to search for lol.

Thanks for your help, turbocad6 answered for the most part what I was aiming at.

Thanks again! hehe

your welcome & good luck...