Installing an OQO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an OQO

I need some help with how I might go about installing this computer: http://www.oqo.com/hardware/video/

It is very small and right now my stereo is out of my car and Im tired of seeing nothing but wires and thought it would be interesting if I could install this. What wires or adapters would I need to do this?

PS: Im a newbie!

Originally posted by proceedapathy
    I need some help with how I might go about installing this computer: http://www.oqo.com/hardware/video/

It is very small and right now my stereo is out of my car and Im tired of seeing nothing but wires and thought it would be interesting if I could install this. What wires or adapters would I need to do this?

PS: Im a newbie!
    Go to the FAQ Emporium and start reading.

PS: We can tell!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

DP strikes again
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
        DP strikes again
        And I'm not even bowling!
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Wow your installing a OQO into your car. First off, you must got some serious cash. What type of car do you have? Your installation might be pretty easy because it's an all-in-one. Is the OQO more like an laptop or a desktop? I would do a for wiring for laptops and start from there.
          `
          ,,`,,
          ,,`,,
          ``,,`,,` `
          ,,`,,
          ,,`,,
          `
          `

Comment

First off you need to work out how to get audio to your speakers either by hooking directly to the amp or working out something with the old headunit.

Second you need the docking cable that supplies DC power to the unit and hook that up through the cars power system.

Then all you have to do get it to stay still in the position you want and your done
            CarPC Status:
            GPS: 99%
            Hardware: 99%
            Software: 92%
            Case Install: 99.9%
            Dash Install: 100%
            Car Install: 72%

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Its a 2005 Corolla.. I don't know how to describe the OQO or how I would actually go about it.. I read something in the FAQ.. and it was talking about hooking up your sound card to the amp. by using RCA cords.. I thought this would work easy if i just pluged one end into the OQO (the headphone slot that out puts the music) and on the other end, into the amp.. But I found out my amp doesn't have any spots for RCA cords to go into. And to be honest, I dont know if it's the amp. because it came with the car, I didn't buy one.. So I don't really know where to start.. Or just give up and go somewhere and have someone install it.

Comment

If its not to late I would highly discourage the purchase of the OQO, I actually had started the "first and only" all-inclusive list of handtop and tablet PCs, but realized it was just too big to do at the time lol. Too many models going by seperate names etc... anyway I do have an idea what I am talking about.

General concensus, the Crusoe is a terrible processor. If you really want to get an all-in-one to plug and play in the car, look at importing a Sony U-70 or 80 (different models). Little more expensive IIRC (maybe not the lower models), but hell if its worth doing do it right!
                James Radcliffe
                [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
                |||||++++++| 40% Making Final Pre-Purchase Plans
                Car Stereo (Phase II)
                |||||||||++| 80% - Building box, getting ready to wire
                Carputer (Phase III)
                ||+++++++++| 10% Desiging CarPC case

Comment

Haha, its too late. I got it as a gift, that I didn't ask for. So I guess im okay with it, just a simple, small, compact computer that I never use, so I thought of the idea of using the mp3's and the computer and put it to use by installing it in my car since my last stereo stoped working

Comment

Haha, its too late. I got it as a gift, that I didn't ask for. So I guess im okay with it, just a simple, small, compact computer that I never use, so I thought of the idea of using the mp3's and the computer and put it to use by installing it in my car since my last stereo stoped working
                    Your stereo stopped working in a 2005 Corolla? Why didn't you take it in for warranty service?

Peace,

Rafster
                    Post # 3000

Comment

Well its a long story, my girlfriend bought me a brand new stereo and then I didnt install it for a few months later, and then I used it for about 3-4 months and then it stopped working. I went to a shop because I thought a wire might of came loose or soemthing but they told me it was the stereo because they connected it to their speakers and it didntt work..

Comment

Transflctive LCD display....
                        I can only imagine how much this costs
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Well in that case use it =D

Don't get me wrong it's an impressive unit I myself would be proud to own, I just meant (making sure I didn't come across too abrubt lol) there is better for a little more money. And of course there are many many succesfull love stories for the OQO.

I originally wanted to do a sony U 70 for my carputer (though Sony decided not to USA release them pending their new design that last I read isn't revealed yet) because it would take care of not only car issues, but could really be an entire media PC. Sure not too much storage room, but enough for your MP3s on the go and in the car, and with an external drive could really hold a lot of movies and make an in-house and in-car media system, as well as audio on the go. The OQO should be sufficient for this purpose as well =D
                          James Radcliffe
                          [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
                          |||||++++++| 40% Making Final Pre-Purchase Plans
                          Car Stereo (Phase II)
                          |||||||||++| 80% - Building box, getting ready to wire
                          Carputer (Phase III)
                          ||+++++++++| 10% Desiging CarPC case

Comment

What adapter do I need to hook this up to my amp? Do I need the docking cable? Or could i just use the audio out from the side and have that plug into my amp or somewhere? Im just confused on how to get sound and what wire(s) I need exactly. A couple posts up soemone said this could be really easy and seems pretty easy just I dont have any RCA slots in my amp and dont know what type of adapter I need exactly..

Comment

well the adapter (check their website) gives video audio usb and power etc to the unit.

U use this to hook up the OQO to power it and to get audio out.

I dont know how your audio system is setup it's stock i gather?
                              CarPC Status:
                              GPS: 99%
                              Hardware: 99%
                              Software: 92%
                              Case Install: 99.9%
                              Dash Install: 100%
                              Car Install: 72%

Comment

Working...
                              X