Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Plans

Hello,

I was just wondering if someone could help me with a few details of my carputer plans... I have a mercedes CLK so the battery is in the back boot I just purchased the following

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lilliput-7-mot...QQcmdZViewItem

And i have a laptop, I have connected the laptop to an Amp this is just a cheap amp I think its 200 watt I hope this is ok as I only just wanted it to power the factory set speakers which are in the door panels and already fitted to the car, im removing the headunit on the car and replacing it with the above touch screen, on the Amp there are 2 channels I planned to wire into the headset harness which is at the front of the car after I figure out which wires go where... I understand I need to get a headset wiring harness for this to findout which wires connect where, I will look for one of these??? Just wondering though would the Amp be enough with the 2 channels to power these speakers, left and right...

I also planned to make an additional cigarette socket in the boot wired directly to the battery (with fuse, not sure what type though) This socket would be switched on from the front of the car with a single push button switch triggering a relay that would turn on the socket and turn on the Remote on the Amp... Into this socket I wanted to connect the laptop hopefully shouldnt be any interference with the car charger of the laptop and the speakers in the car as the wires will not cross... then I would add another switch to turn on the laptop...

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this setup and any likely problems, the laptop would have a battery anyway so should still operate even with the car off, with the amp powered by the battery I should still get some power for a short time with the car off also... I hope it all works out if anyone can offer any assistance or if this is all a dumb idea please feel free to say so...

Ok, another idea

As i understand there is a power cable into the existing head unit, that only powers the system when the car is switched on, if I extend this to the back of the car, instead of the switch and relay could I use this for Remote on the Amp and to power the cigarrette socket??? This would mean the laptop charges when the car is turned on automatically no switches and the Amp also powers on, disadvantage no music (no Amp) when car is off...

Comment

Quick question, why install a cigarette lighter in the back just for the laptop?

As far as no music without the ignition, you could use a switch that has one lead direct from the battery and one from the ignition. This is what I have so if the switch is "on" then it will startup the computer without the ignition on. If it is off, then the computer follows the ignition state.

As far as the lead going to the wiring harness that turns on that radio, that is simply a wire tied to the ignition in some way. You could use that or tap into a fuse for a component that only turns on with the ignition.

Keep in mind that merely applying power to the laptop (via cigarette lighter or not) will not turn it on. You would need to tap into the power switch for the laptop using a relay to "press" the power button when the power line to computer is getting power.

As far as how to go about the above suggestions, they were merely tips on what to look for. The implementation of these methods are clearly described in the faqs and many of the threads.

Comment

Hello,

Thank u for your reply... I thought the lighter socket would be a good idea so that i could supply power to the laptop when the car is on through the laptops car charger... which plugs into this socket...

I have already modified the power switch on the laptop anyway to turn on the system from the front of the car, modifications I have and will make to the laptop itself are all so that the laptop can be unplugged quickly and easily and completely portable this also means I can quickly upgrade the laptop or downgrade the laptop if I want to sell the car

The only wires to the laptop are the car charger, the speaker wire from laptop to the Amp (unpluggable) and the onoff switch which just has a 2 pin connector to a lead which I can unplug...

Comment

Was just wondering what would be the need for startup and shutdown controllers for a laptop install??? If the one of switch was wired to the front of the dash, the system can be turned on when required even when the car is off... The system can be shut down safely with the battery even when the car is off, by going into shut down mode pressing the same switch... If the system does hang, holding the push button switch at the front will simply turn it off, wouldnt that be a better solution than just using a controller that just turn off the power after a few seconds if the system hangs???

Comment

Originally posted by c9679
            Was just wondering what would be the need for startup and shutdown controllers for a laptop install???
            To turn ont he PC when you start your car and shut it down whern you shut off the car, silly.

If the one of switch was wired to the front of the dash, the system can be turned on when required even when the car is off... The system can be shut down safely with the battery even when the car is off, by going into shut down mode pressing the same switch... If the system does hang, holding the push button switch at the front will simply turn it off, wouldnt that be a better solution than just using a controller that just turn off the power after a few seconds if the system hangs???
            Actually, the combination of a power button and a startup/shutdown controller is the ideal. You'll get the system starting up with no user internvention AND you'll have manual control in case the system hangs....

Of course if you configure your system properly, you shouldn't have any PC lockup problems.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I know what the startup shutdown controller does lol, but its quite an expensive item isnt it just to avoid pressing a simple, push button switch... What if u didnt want the system 2 turn on each time u turned the key for example, I have 2 turn on the car to open my windows when im parked and need a fag break lol, turn it off again within 30 seconds, so wouldnt that mean the laptop would be turning on and off each time I did that???

Im really new to this so sorry if these are dumb questions but wouldnt a simple relay connected to the same cable which provides Remote to the Amp also be used to manually turn the PC on as the Amp powers on when the car does too???

Comment

Originally posted by c9679
                I know what the startup shutdown controller does lol, but its quite an expensive item isnt it just to avoid pressing a simple, push button switch... What if u didnt want the system 2 turn on each time u turned the key for example, I have 2 turn on the car to open my windows when im parked and need a fag break lol, turn it off again within 30 seconds, so wouldnt that mean the laptop would be turning on and off each time I did that???
                The simple way to pull this off is to have a two-position switch along the power lead. If the switch is int he ON position (circuit closed), then the ignition will trigger startup of shutdown. When it's in the off position, the signal from the IGN wire won't go to the motherboard to shut down the PC.
                It's also handy for valet parking so the PC won't come on when they're driving the car. Then all you need to do is turn your switch on and you've got your PC booting. Tah-dah!

Oh. Just an FYI:
                I know what you mean by it, and I'm sure others do, too. But "taking a fag break" just sounds like a homosexual activity.
                Just think.... If you were to quit smoking (or talking about smoking), then we bloody Yanks won't think you're gay...

Im really new to this so sorry if these are dumb questions but wouldnt a simple relay connected to the same cable which provides Remote to the Amp also be used to manually turn the PC on as the Amp powers on when the car does too???
                Dude, you are NOT asking dumb questions. You have an idea of what the hell you're doing and what your end result will be. You're farther ahead of this game than 3/4 of the n00bs here.
                As an aside, I'm curious how many n00bs get completely excited about an in-car PC and talk some big **** about their plans and then just abandon the idea.... I think we can only speculate, but it would be interesting to see some numbers...

That really depends on the make/model of the laptop. Some PCs (desktop or laptop) have the ability to power on upon receipt of power. If this is the case, then it's pretty simple, yeah. You wouldn't even need any additional hardware. If your laptop doesn't have this feature, then you're going to need to look at other alternatives if you want the PC to start with your vehicle.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

lol, first important issue, I am most definately NOT gay I just meant though that there are a lot of times the car must be switched on where it wouldnt be worth the PC coming on also...

Thank you for your advice on the switch, will try to get a nice looking toggle switch or something instead of a Push button switch that I got wired at the moment, I have pretty much built the system, its now working from my boot its connected to the Amp and provides sound but I have to use the laptop from the boot to play any music or do anything as im still waiting for my touch screen from Ebay, just heard some bad reviews on the screen after I bought it got a web cam connected to the laptop on the back shelf which I can use for reverse parking as well as spotting any lovely LADIES in the car behind obviously all thats a little pointless at the moment as I would have to get out open the boot and view the camera on the main laptop screen

Just wondering is there any application that displays a simple (large) volume slider thing just on the side... that would be helpfull to control the PC sound as I can imagine it would be quite awkward using the tiny volume controls in Media Player using a touchscreen???

Thanks for all your help and advise...

Comment

All sounds good minus the FAG break

Comment

Working...
                    X