Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello All...i'm a newbie and i need help!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All...i'm a newbie and i need help!!!

Hello everyone! I've been checking out this site for a while now and i've decided that i want to be cool like you guys! I've been into cars for about 10 years now and i'm always wanting to do something different. I do realize that you guys have been doing this for a long time now, but now its my turn!

Anywho this is the car that i want to build a pc in...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

I already have a 7" screen that i've mounted under my Pioneer head unit so i that much ahead.
    My brother is helping me with the piecing together of the hardware and this is what i have thus far:
    1. Elitegroup pt800ce-a motherboard
    2. wireless lan pci card (for surfing in a wireless hot spot i guess)
    3. easy cat touch pad mouse that i'm going to mout in my arm rest
    4. studio tv terminator tv card
    5. 200 gig hard drive
    6. memory..don't know how much thats my brothers doing
    7. dvd/burner drive

I have a couple of questions that i need answered if anyone can help. I've used the search feather and some questions are still a blurr. Remember, i have much knowledge in auto building not pc building. I can hook up almost anything in a car and a computer is kinda new to me!

I know i need decent clean power to run the board and accys. Do i use a inverter or this dc to dc power converter that i've been reading about? How does it hook up? How can i hook up video and audio from the mother board to my screen and to my pioneer head unit?

So i guess i'm done..sorry for the novel. I just respect what everyone is doing on this forum and i think its really cool to run a computer in a car that is actually useful! What else am i missing for this project? One more thing...i am wanting to mount the board/HD in the trunk for space issues, but i want to run the dvd/burner up near the driver seat or in the glove box. Is this all possible?

Thank you very much for any help you guys can provide me!
    Stevo
    "One Low Accord"

Before people hurt you with the "SEARCH!" button, I'll fill you in:

1) Your PC needs a power unit to bring the 12V from the battery into the system, and turn it into all the various voltages your PC needs. You can use an inverter, which will be hot and noisy, or a DC-DC supply. The DC-DC is easiest - its a big metal box with two cables going to the car power rails, and all the proper power plugs to connect to your PCs hardware. Simple as that.
    2) YOu have a TV Card, but you havent mentioned a Video card. I dont know if your motherboard has a 15-pin VGA socket, but if you want to run a picture to an LCD screen, you need to put a video card into your system. You'll be wanting a VGA LCD screen.
    http://sticksout.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by one low accord
      Hello everyone! I've been checking out this site for a while now and i've decided that i want to be cool like you guys! I've been into cars for about 10 years now and i'm always wanting to do something different. I do realize that you guys have been doing this for a long time now, but now its my turn!

Anywho this is the car that i want to build a pc in...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

I already have a 7" screen that i've mounted under my Pioneer head unit so i that much ahead.
      My brother is helping me with the piecing together of the hardware and this is what i have thus far:
      1. Elitegroup pt800ce-a motherboard
      2. wireless lan pci card (for surfing in a wireless hot spot i guess)
      3. easy cat touch pad mouse that i'm going to mout in my arm rest
      4. studio tv terminator tv card
      5. 200 gig hard drive
      6. memory..don't know how much thats my brothers doing
      7. dvd/burner drive

I have a couple of questions that i need answered if anyone can help. I've used the search feather and some questions are still a blurr. Remember, i have much knowledge in auto building not pc building. I can hook up almost anything in a car and a computer is kinda new to me!

I know i need decent clean power to run the board and accys. Do i use a inverter or this dc to dc power converter that i've been reading about? How does it hook up? How can i hook up video and audio from the mother board to my screen and to my pioneer head unit?
      A few points:
      1) The computer's PSU takes AC current and converts it to DC for the computer components. An inverter converts DC from the car to AC. So you're going through this conversion process twice, which is inefficient.
      2) There is no DC-DC converter. There is no need to convert the car's DC power, since that's what the PC requires.
      3) You need TV-out to go into the screen of your headunit. TVs are far lower resolutions than even the lowest-end PC monitors. Your display will be marginal AT BEST. More than likely, the display will suck.
      4) You'll need a 1/8" mic to L/R RCA jacks that go into your headunit's AUX input.

All these answers are located in the FAQ Emporium here. Start reading.

Oh, and the domain doesn't allow linking from an external site, liek this one.

So i guess i'm done..sorry for the novel. I just respect what everyone is doing on this forum and i think its really cool to run a computer in a car that is actually useful! What else am i missing for this project? One more thing...i am wanting to mount the board/HD in the trunk for space issues, but i want to run the dvd/burner up near the driver seat or in the glove box. Is this all possible?
      Yes, it's all possible. Again, do some reading.
      And plan this out before you dive it. You may not start your project as soon as you'd like, but when you do, you'll have a lot easier time getting what you want out of it.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrrmachine
        Before people hurt you with the "SEARCH!" button......
        Too Late!!!!

Peace,

Rafster
        Post # 3000

Comment

Click on the link in my signature. That wil take you to a FAQ to the FAQ's. Look for links to information about power supplies. Also look at the link on how to wire your Opus. That explains how to connect the DC power supply to your car. There is also a link on how to get sound to your car's speakers.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

haha thanks guy for the info provided thus far! I just found out by READING that my current lcd isn't going to work for what i want to do. It only has a rca video input, so i've ordered the liliput 7" touch screen. Also with the mother board that i've mentioned above, what is a decent power supply i should go with. I know this thing requires a lot of wattage consumption in addition to all the accys that i'm going to add to it. This is a regular size mother board and NOT a mini of any sort. Any ideas? Thanks again guys and i have to tell you..i am learning a lot from this! You guys are freaking awsome!!!!!
            Stevo
            "One Low Accord"

Comment

I searched around to see what the motherboard was going to need (power consumption) and sadly couldn't find it. Maybe someone else will be able to find it for you. However, when searching I did consistently see the PSU used with that board was between 400-500 watts, and as low as 275 watts on one post. Sorry I can't help you more. But again that depends on the CPU what else is hooked up to it etc. So, in short, this post probably doesn't help you at all Sorry.
              Tucka Tucka

Comment

Originally posted by one low accord
                haha thanks guy for the info provided thus far! I just found out by READING that my current lcd isn't going to work for what i want to do. It only has a rca video input, so i've ordered the liliput 7" touch screen. Also with the mother board that i've mentioned above, what is a decent power supply i should go with. I know this thing requires a lot of wattage consumption in addition to all the accys that i'm going to add to it. This is a regular size mother board and NOT a mini of any sort. Any ideas? Thanks again guys and i have to tell you..i am learning a lot from this! You guys are freaking awsome!!!!!
                The motherboard isn't the major issue with power draw, but the CPU. You've said what motherboard you want to use, but not the CPU. It's obviously a P4 setup. A lower-end P4 (2Ghz or so) should work fine with a DSATX. If you go even lower-end, you could probably go with an Opus 150w.

Or you can do a Boris and wait for DragonBTV's 300w unit.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                X