Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts list: Opinions/Warnings?

Hey guys,
    I've been reading these boards for a while, but haven't yet attempted my build. Soon enough. Before I get started, can someone with more experience take a look at my setup and let me know if I'm headed for problems? It's not too late for me to change power supplies, etc., if necessary. Here are the parts I'm planning to use:

1.Opus 120 watt (after taking xxandyxx's advice below, and upgrading from m1-atx)
    2.VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard (bought 1gb ram)
    3.Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen 619GL-70NP
    4. USB SiRFII GPS Receiver
    5. Panasonic UJ815B Slot-load DVD-RW Notebook Laptop Drive
    6. Combo Ultra Slim External Enclosure for dvd drive
    7. SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY2 7.1CH DOLBY EXT USB External Soundcard
    8. 80gb harddrive harvested from my desktop
    9. probably some fans, etc. too
    10. I also realize how many usb2 (expansion) ports I'll need to run everything, will likely have one in the case, and one in the dash for accessories, sync, etc.

Anything I'm missing here?
    BTW this is going in a 2002 Jetta. I'm going to put what I can behind the dash. I don't have monsoon, so I guess I'll need a small amp, too, right?

Any help/guidance you guys can give me would kick a@@. Keep up the good work.

I would definitely go with a bigger psu. It's always better to go bigger with the PSU, and that way if you wanted to run a USB hub off of your PSU you could, or various other power supply intesive devices.

Yes, you'll need to get an amp for your speakers.

Good luck!

Comment

looks like you're not skimping out on things... so you should consider a laptop hard drive. desktop hard drives don't always use insane power, but they often use a lot on spinning up, which can cause problems... not to mention more heat, and they aren't nearly as shock resistant... if nothing else, you could get a laptop hard drive for your OS, and then get an external USB enclosure for the desktop drive and keep your music and stuff on there, and then just run it on a separate power supply. (that would also make it very easy to transfer files onto it)
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

Awesome advice. Yeah, I can't really find any affordable 2.5 hdd's, so I'll upgrade later, most likely. I hate to let this hdd go to waste.
        In other news, the M1-ATX was on backorder anyway, so I went ahead and upgraded to the opus 120. This isn't final yet, but is this a better direction?

How much has anyone been able to cram (by cram, I mean carefully position) behind the dash in a jetta/vw? I have an extra "radio cage" to do all of this install in a bench setting, and that way I can go back to factory relatively easily, too.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's what I've got so far as far as laying this thing out. I'm unsure on some of the wiring, as you can tell. Especially for the amp. I have a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style) already in the trunk, factory. Could I power the amp off of this and run a relay to the ign/acc? Also, I'm dreading rewiring the speakers to the back of the car from the front.
          Anyway, any critique/ideas are always appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X