been reading and now some questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been reading and now some questions

This is my first post and I must say I have been reading these boards for like two weeks straight.

I think i am going to start compiling parts for a carpc. I have some questions though and I find similar topics but none seem to answer my questions in full.

Is it smart to buy a all ready built pc or build one from the ground up? If I would buy one should i nuy a barebone or one that is completely built? If I were to build one will a EPIA motherboard be sufficient enough for what I want to do?

Before you answer I will tell you that i have a 2003 eclipse gt and am thinking of either mounting the touchscreen on the dash or buy a motorized one for one of my DIN areas. I am wanting a carpc to basically play mp3s, gps, internet, and eventually onboard car diagnostics. Opions and answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chad

Originally posted by chadcj7
    This is my first post and I must say I have been reading these boards for like two weeks straight.

I think i am going to start compiling parts for a carpc. I have some questions though and I find similar topics but none seem to answer my questions in full.

Is it smart to buy a all ready built pc or build one from the ground up? If I would buy one should i nuy a barebone or one that is completely built? If I were to build one will a EPIA motherboard be sufficient enough for what I want to do?

Before you answer I will tell you that i have a 2003 eclipse gt and am thinking of either mounting the touchscreen on the dash or buy a motorized one for one of my DIN areas. I am wanting a carpc to basically play mp3s, gps, internet, and eventually onboard car diagnostics. Opions and answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chad

Me personally would build it from the ground up. You get exactly what you want and hey thats part of the fun ;-)

Shane
    Project Pony Has Begun!

Comment

The answer to your question about whether to build or buy is really one you have to answer yourself. Do you WANT to build a PC? CAN you build one? If either answer is no, buy a prebuilt or a laptop. If you want to learn HOW to build a PC, then by all means, start here. It's not that hard and you can figure it out.

For what you want to do, the Epia board is fine. It will do mp3, DVD, OBDII, GPS without too much difficulty. The barebones PC's are are fine, too. All of the options are fine, actually.

Why not build one of each?
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I am somewhat of a power junkie as I love cars and hp. When it comes to technology i try to stay up to date. If I go with an EPIA board will it run at a sufficient speed and do it well? I am just worried that I will want more power!!! ALso the EPIA seems to be a cheaper way of doing things and i don't want to regret it. I sometime relate cheaper with worse and more expensive with better...... is that the case with carpc's?

I was also thinking of putting the computer together in an old broken xbox console I have. I would love to build it myself and in my head I have the parts mapped out. One last question: should i go with windows proffesional or home edition? Thanks again

chad

Comment

I am somewhat of a power junkie as I love cars and hp. When it comes to technology i try to stay up to date. If I go with an EPIA board will it run at a sufficient speed and do it well? I am just worried that I will want more power!!! ALso the EPIA seems to be a cheaper way of doing things and i don't want to regret it. I sometime relate cheaper with worse and more expensive with better...... is that the case with carpc's?
          If you're a power junkie, you're likely to be dissatisfied with the performance of an EPIA board. You may want to look into a setup based on either an AthlonXP Mobile or a Pentium M. A laptop is also an option.
          Figure an EPIA M10000 has a 1Ghz CPU and will be outpaced by a 1Ghz Pentium III.

I was also thinking of putting the computer together in an old broken xbox console I have. I would love to build it myself and in my head I have the parts mapped out. One last question: should i go with windows proffesional or home edition? Thanks again
          You're a power junkie and you're asking about XP Home vs Pro?
          Pro, without a doubt.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

slow?

I would like to have a pentium M based pc but just don;t have the money. Will the EPIA M10000 just run slow when playing mp3s, and doing GPS functions. If i were to go the Pentium m route would it be better to go with a barebone system? If so what would be a good barebone system to go with.

thanks

chad

Comment

I would like to have a pentium M based pc but just don;t have the money. Will the EPIA M10000 just run slow when playing mp3s, and doing GPS functions. If i were to go the Pentium m route would it be better to go with a barebone system? If so what would be a good barebone system to go with.
              I don't make recommendations.
              Do a little research and see what's available.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i am using a microATX intel board and a 2.4Ghz celerod D processor. That thing is power hungary. to conter act that i went with slim line dvd drive and 2.5 laptop hard drive. that will keep me well below 150 watts and i have plenty of power.

Shane
                Project Pony Has Begun!

Comment

thanks

chad
                  Define slowly? You mean, can it keep up and play mp3's? Yes. Mine has never skipped once. Most of the GPS calculations are done inside the GPS receiver and the display only updates once a second, so it keeps up with that, too. Is it a slow CPU? Yes. Do I notice? No. Maybe on startup. Otherwise, nope.

The question to ask yourself is: "What do I need the power for?" Really, what DO you need it for? Are you going to play games in your car? Crack passwords? What? What do you need the power for? To say that you have it? Fine. Get a P4 board and you'll have the power. But it's wasted unless you USE it.

For mp3's, DVD, and navigation, you just don't need something very fast to do it. If you want more, put it in. If you don't NEED more, save your money for something else.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                  X