Getting Started..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started..

Ok I KNOW ill get flamed for not "Searching" but I spend the last week doing nothing but "searching"..

I am about to install a Comp in my truck but I know NOTHING about it... I work at a computer store so the computer side of things is no problem, however what all do I need to install and what would you guys recomend.

I want too be able to
    Have Gps
    Play Movies
    Listen to music

I was planning on using a touchpad fabricated into the console and a wireless Keyboard. I was also considering using a 15" lcd for a Desktop Computer and molding it into the console also. I know it wont be touchscreen but it doesnt matter really. I just dont want a little 7" or 8". I even considered hooking 2 up since I have a extended cab. I supose my biggest question is how do I wire up the computer to my stereo and what about geting enought power to the system?

all these questions are answered in teh faq emporium. you don't even need to search for that, just peruse the thread titles and you'll see..
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by DubDeuceGmc
      Ok I KNOW ill get flamed for not "Searching" but I spend the last week doing nothing but "searching"..

I am about to install a Comp in my truck but I know NOTHING about it... I work at a computer store so the computer side of things is no problem, however what all do I need to install and what would you guys recomend.

I want too be able to
      Have Gps
      Play Movies
      Listen to music

I was planning on using a touchpad fabricated into the console and a wireless Keyboard. I was also considering using a 15" lcd for a Desktop Computer and molding it into the console also. I know it wont be touchscreen but it doesnt matter really. I just dont want a little 7" or 8". I even considered hooking 2 up since I have a extended cab. I supose my biggest question is how do I wire up the computer to my stereo and what about geting enought power to the system?
      There is far more to explain than I can in a single post, so I will direct you to the appropriate faqs which should answer most of your questions. It's hard not to tell you to read or search with such a generalized question. I would suggest reading the following threads and then come back with more specific questions. They are a lot more willingly answered and will give you better results because they will be less opinion based.

FAQ: Connecting your Car PC's Power and Speakers

FAQ: Power Supplies Explained (Part 1)

Wiring Diagram (with Amplifier)

HOW TO: Get sound from PC to Car Stereo / Amp

My opinions:

GPS: BR-355 (hardware by usglobalsat) with iGuidance (software by iNav)

Computer: Epia or at least a mobile pentium or mobile athlon based system. Try to stay away from regular desktop processors (heat and energy consumption).

Audio: try out onboard audio and see if it is good enough for you. If not, look through the many offerings there are that people here use. If you are running it through your stock stereo, you'll need some type of input adapter to get the signal to your stereo (usually replaces your cd-changer)
      Video: many monitor options, lilliput = budget, xenarc = better quality, but still not great in daylight. I rarely use the touchscreen, but when I do, I'm damn glad I have it.

Comment

Working...
      X