Newbie from Idaho

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Idaho

Well i have a 95 Satern sl1 that i am going to put a carputer in.
    My needs a some what diffident in that this start with a way to download pics off my cameras cards on trips. Oh sure i like to have mp3, DVDs , games, and GPSS too. The carputer will need to be some what like a lap-top in that it will be portable so i can bring it in, plug it in to the network and download the pics on to the pic drive. Now i got lots of stuff laying around, nic's, vid cards, etc, so all i needed was a board, CPU, ram, and case. Add to that this box will also become my slide show box since lugging around home desktop sucks. To do that i will be adding my old ati vid card out of my desk-top later.
    Well i learned a lot from just reading all kinds of stuff here, so thanks.
    Steve

Originally posted by lazaruslong
    Well i have a 95 Satern sl1 that i am going to put a carputer in.
    My needs a some what diffident in that this start with a way to download pics off my cameras cards on trips. Oh sure i like to have mp3, DVDs , games, and GPSS too. The carputer will need to be some what like a lap-top in that it will be portable so i can bring it in, plug it in to the network and download the pics on to the pic drive. Now i got lots of stuff laying around, nic's, vid cards, etc, so all i needed was a board, CPU, ram, and case. Add to that this box will also become my slide show box since lugging around home desktop sucks. To do that i will be adding my old ati vid card out of my desk-top later.
    Well i learned a lot from just reading all kinds of stuff here, so thanks.
    Steve
    Camera's on trips are easy. Just get a usb cord or hub and wire it to the computer. I am sure you figured that out.

Define games. Some games will play great on old computer, but if you want to play doom3 in your car it will be a bit of a pain to make that work.

If you want it to be able to unplug easy, a trunk install with long wires would be the way to go. Another way to go, would be to use a wan card instead of wiring it into your network.

Basically for the basic mp3/dvd/gps, almost any computer would work. Epia is the favorite. If you go that way, a cheap power supplly, and little ram will work fine. Also you will need a screen. Check out the mp3car.com store.

Pretty much you can just look around and find what you need. Also, laptop components(aka 2.5" hard drives and slim-cd/dvd) are the way to go. Most are shock resistant, where a regular computers is not.

If you want to go all out for gaming, go with a p4 or amd 64 bit. The amd will usally outperform, but p4's are more common. You will need a big power supply either way, like a dstx 220w(I think I spelled it right) or a inverter with a regular power supply. YOu could always go with a mobile processor, for less power consomption as well as power. Also dont go wild on the video card, unless you want to pay alot for a large lcd screen. Most smaller carputer freindly screens will only do 1024 x 768. Most people seem to run around 800x480? is it? I would just run 800 x 600 myself.

I am near slc just so you know. So you arent all that far away.
    Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
    planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
    parts___[++++++----] around 60%
    install___[-----------] -9,000%

Comment

Originally posted by Haystack
      Camera's on trips are easy. Just get a usb cord or hub and wire it to the computer. I am sure you figured that out.
      Ya i going to put a hub in the dash. I already have a card reader.

Define games. Some games will play great on old computer, but if you want to play doom3 in your car it will be a bit of a pain to make that work.
      Well the games are not for me and they are mostly older games. It just to keep my kid happy on long trips.

If you want it to be able to unplug easy, a trunk install with long wires would be the way to go. Another way to go, would be to use a wan card instead of wiring it into your network.
      Well i have a hub so i will just bring it in and plug it in to the network to do my move stuff back and forth. ya it a trunk install.

Basically for the basic mp3/dvd/gps, almost any computer would work. Epia is the favorite. If you go that way, a cheap power supplly, and little ram will work fine. Also you will need a screen. Check out the mp3car.com store.
      The idea here is to get going on it since it will take me a while to put all of this togther and then i add the screen at tax time from the store. Around that time i proble up grade my home computer and move the board in to it.

Pretty much you can just look around and find what you need. Also, laptop components(aka 2.5" hard drives and slim-cd/dvd) are the way to go. Most are shock resistant, where a regular computers is not.
      I am going to put a Dvd rom in to the case but in time i will put a slim-cd/dvd in to the dash with the usb hub.

If you want to go all out for gaming, go with a p4 or amd 64 bit. The amd will usally outperform, but p4's are more common. You will need a big power supply either way, like a dstx 220w(I think I spelled it right) or a inverter with a regular power supply. YOu could always go with a mobile processor, for less power consomption as well as power. Also dont go wild on the video card, unless you want to pay alot for a large lcd screen. Most smaller carputer freindly screens will only do 1024 x 768. Most people seem to run around 800x480? is it? I would just run 800 x 600 myself.
      ya well i don't need a hard core puter in the car just one that works ok.
      I am near slc just so you know. So you arent all that far away.
      lol- SLC is cool wish i could go down there more.
      Steve

Comment

Working...
      X