No announcement yet.

Feedback for site

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback for site

As a class assignment on making a collaborative technical website for school, we decided to make a small site on building a Car PC. Only one person in our group has actually built one himself, and we are very new to the subject.

Since it's not a long assignment, we couldn't go very deep into any subject, and it's definitely still a work in progress. Still, we would love to get some feedback from people who actually know what they are talking about.

If you want to help us out a bit, look over our site:

and tell us what really needs fixing. Since we still haven't finished putting it all up, some of the links are broken, but we will be adding more content in the next few days.

Nice job, guys. Following is constructive criticism for your project.

The "audio interface" part is confusing. The link is to the Eclipse site, not the actual product, so it isn't clear exactly what you mean -amplifier? Head unit? Something besides that?

For the PC page, I disagree that small form factor PC's are difficult to use due to their proprietary nature. You only mention the Mac Mini which doesn't mention the fact that the Mini doesn't run Windows. You've also ignored the incredible popularity of the Via Epia M10000 and 12000 units which are integrated boards that require the user only to add memory and hard drive. You also need pictures of all this stuff on there.

Under power supplies you state that the PSU "conditions" the voltage. Maybe, maybe not. If you mean that it regulates the voltage to prevent spikes and variances then it depends on the power supply you purchase.

Also, it's not clear to me whether you are talking about power supplies built just for car use (like Opus) or just a DC-DC power supply.

Under user interface, I would argue that manufacturer's user interfaces are neither more elegant nor have greater compatibility and functionality.

Lastly, the resources reference to state that you must hunt through the various forums to find the information you want. While that is true, a pointer to the FAQ to the FAQ's (see the link in my signature) will send the reader to a Newbie FAQ in tutorial format to help get them started.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of response we were looking for.

i didnt have a lot of time to read through the site, but to make the page more appealing you have to hook the viewer. i would put some installed pics and some of the key features of having a pc.
        New System in progress:
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

I'm a member of the GTcarPC team working on the website. I've also been a member here for awhile, and I used the site extensively for my last carpc project.

I just wanted to personally thank everyone for helping us out. This forum has been a very valuable resource.

Keep the feedback coming. We'll try our best to squeeze the suggestions in before our upcoming deadline.

Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
          CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
          Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

You mean to choose this song on a school project picture?

See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at
            Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
            i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

i fixed it.
              Attached Files

Originally posted by arebelspy
                You mean to choose this song on a school project picture?

Our teacher is pretty cool, if he even notices he'll think it's funny.

Originally posted by scott_fx
                  i would put some installed pics and some of the key features of having a pc.
                  Contentwise you did a great job and looks like an "A" worthy project to me.

Thanks for the help everyone.

We submitted and presented it yesterday, and I think it went over well.

If someone(s) would like to take over the project, we'd be happy to donate the work to It should be very useful to those new to carputing. I think it would be even neater as an active wiki document so other can contribute to the content. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to implement the wiki.
                    Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                    CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                    Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

One thing I observed with your wiring diagram is that power for the screen comes from the battery. In fact, a lot of users run their power from the Opus power supply so it turns on and off with the PC
                      2005 Black Chevy Impala
                      Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%