Stupid newb, someone step up for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid newb, someone step up for me

Ok im new to this who car pc thing, by now you are all thinking "what an idiot, why doesnt he just search"......well ive tried, i suck at searcing so anyways here it goes, it would be great if someone would take the time to help me out

Ok so i have an sti, and i wanna put one of these carputers in, i saw the wrx lilliput thing and i think il get that if its a good deal? anyways i know i need other stuff like a hd and whatever, but i dont understnad your guys' product code talk and blah blah, so can someone use lehmens terms and explain to me what i would need and what i should expect to spend? are the fully built syustems that this site sells worth it? what is the wifi used for(i know what wifi is but it still seems wierd), anyone who takes the time to help me out is awsome, thanks in advance

haha i just finished telling myself that i wouldnt bash newbs in the newbie section. ok listen being that you have no clue whats going on and you want someone to do it for you your gonna end up spending alot of money. i say buy yourself a prebuilt carputer from the classified section along with the wrx double din lilliput. expect to spend around 1000 to 1200 bucks for everything. wifi is used for internet in the car. are you ever gonna surf the web in your vehicle? if not dont worry about it. after you buy a premade pc from the classified or from the mp3car.com store remember to load your mp3s on there and videos or whatever you have. thank buy yourself a usb gps mouse if you want navigation along with the navigation software. i reccomend iguidance. if you do a search online youll find it bundled with a reciever for like 160. do some more searching or list exactly what you expect out of your carputer and maybe more people can help....dont forget to hit up the "show off your ride" section
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

I can understand all this to be a little overwhelming. I wasn't too far off not long ago. The problem is that the real answer to your question is : It Depends.

Everything EsKALad said is correct.

I think the first questions you need to ask yourself are what do I want the computer to do? How much of this can I do myself? How much am I willing to spend?

For the Computer your choices are esktop, Laptop, Other(Mini itx)

Then equally as important: How do I power It?

Then(often goes with the last question): How will I start it up and shut it down when it is in my trunk or under my seat?

What LCD?: what size? 7" or bigger; what kind? Xenarc, Lilliput, Other

Then installation and fabrication????

Then What do I want it to do?: MP3's(what size hard drive, GPS (I like iguidance also), Watch dvd's, streaming video(you don't want a realy slow processor), There are so many more things you can do cell phone through bluetooth, Internet through wireless phone or card, Wi-fi through local access points.

While agree with everything EsKALad said I think a laptop is also I viable solution. For a basic system you need a laptop, a way to power it (an adapter that can be plugged into the vehicles power or an inverter) , a monitor that can be plugged into the vehicles power.

My basic system:

used laptop.............200.00 (soldered wires to power switch for startup)
      power adapter...........40.00
      cheap screen...........200.00

Not Bad...................but, everything else: 400.00 to 600.00

bluetooth
      wi-fi
      fabrication
      wires, cables,switches, connectors
      gps software
      gps receiver
      wireless usb mouse
      bluetooth keyboard
      etc

Cost is a balancing act. What you want, what you can find cheap,

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShortThrow
        Ok im new to this who car pc thing, by now you are all thinking "what an idiot, why doesnt he just search"......well ive tried, i suck at searcing so anyways here it goes, it would be great if someone would take the time to help me out
        Then learn to search effectively. That's a bull**** cop-out statement.

Ok so i have an sti, and i wanna put one of these carputers in, i saw the wrx lilliput thing and i think il get that if its a good deal? anyways i know i need other stuff like a hd and whatever, but i dont understnad your guys' product code talk and blah blah, so can someone use lehmens terms and explain to me what i would need and what i should expect to spend? are the fully built syustems that this site sells worth it? what is the wifi used for(i know what wifi is but it still seems wierd), anyone who takes the time to help me out is awsome, thanks in advance
        Since you know your search skillz are still unopened in the package (by your own admission), you might try going to the FAQ Emporium and doing some reading there. You should learn much, but it won't help your searching skillz.
        Learn to use keywords.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

(All done)
          iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

pick up car pc hacks here, or at your local B&N. read it cover to cover or just things you think are interesting... its a great start for getting down the basics.
            Marshall

Comment

Thanks man I'll be picking that book up today

Comment

Working...
              X