Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I chuck this board? Importance of S3 Suspend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I chuck this board? Importance of S3 Suspend?

I have a Jetway 615DF Mini-ITX motherboard w/Intel Celeron 1.2GHz Tualatin CPU. Compared to even the fastest Epia w/Via C3, the Tualatin Celerons are screamers. However, my motherboard doesn't support S3 suspend. It can do regular S1 suspend, but even then, it still consumes 48W when bench-tested with a desktop power supply. Assuming my desktop supply is only 70% efficient, the motherboard still consumes a good 30W in standby which would definitely drain a car battery overnight. It looks like my only other option would be Hibernate, which takes 35-seconds to boot to Windows from the second I press power.

It's really hard for me to judge if 35-seconds is too long considering I have not used it in a car (still in the parts gathering stage), but right now I'm just soliciting opinions for those who have used CarPC's and have an idea of what's really annoying and what's not. Is it preferable to have a motherboard with a faster CPU that doesn't have an S3 suspend option, or one capable of S3 suspend even if the CPU is only half as fast?

35 Seconds is still shorter than the time you crank the car, put in reverse, and pull out the driveway.
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Yeah, 35sec is not bad. Just suspend during the day, and shutdown at night. I use my car enough during the day that I could leave it suspended during the day when I'm not using it.

But I have a quick enough CarPC that it'll come out of hibernation in less than 5 secs.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

or you could try this
        http://www.litepc.com/
        Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
        planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
        parts___[++++++----] around 60%
        install___[-----------] -9,000%

Comment

Originally posted by Haystack
          or you could try this
          http://www.litepc.com/
          Naw, search for that, most people don't like it. I've tried it, it sucks. If you want to do something like this, use nlite instead. That's how I have my pc working so awesomely.

Bottom line, LitePC sucks, but it's cool, cause you're a newbie and probably didn't know. j/k
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Thanks, sounds like it's a better idea to slim down Windows instead.
            I'll give that a shot first.

Comment

also do some bootvis-ing. should help at least some.

Comment

Well just look at how popular the biostar M7NCG mobo is... and that doesn't support S3 either. hell, I can't even get mine to hibernate. still, not the end of the world.
                But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                Originally posted by Viscouse
                I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                eegeek.net

Comment

Working...
                X