Need advice asap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice asap

hey guys, ive been reading posts for the past few days. not sure if the carpc is for me. any advice or opinions to my questions would be helpful.

my single cab f-150:
    currenty i have a pioneer 7 inch dvd flip out connected through an ip-bus to a pioneer cd/mp3 player.
    im in the process of making my sub box in a custom console. pretty much to sum it up its a high end system.

now here is where i need help.
    i saw the infill t3 and fell in love, but the price tag is way too steep. since i figured it was made for a car it would have outputs to two external amps (mids and highs for one amp and lows for the other amp)
    if i make a carpc will i be able to have this like a normal aftermarket car stereo would or should i use a aftermarket stereo and have the pc connected to the stereo?
    next, i noticed all the screens have buttons on the bottom, if i were to do this in my car , is there a screen without buttons?

pretty much to sum it all up, i only have a double din space to work with, maybe an extra din for an aftermarket radio if i move the a/c controls (would be a pain to make a custom mount on the roof since i have no space left in my cab for a clean install). i want my carpc to perform just like an aftermarket radio but better with gps navi, and custom front-ends. o i forgot to mention i will also have a custom xbox mounted in the dash as well. i was thinking of using the xbox media center but it doesnt support gps navi , so ill keep the xbox's software stock (like the stock software better anyway). now should i just not put an xbox in at all since ill have a carpc and since the new xbox is coming out (my system in a car show would seem "old"). last thing i have steering wheel controls. can i use them on a carpc because that is a big deciding factor if ill make one.

sorry for whoring.

p.s. i wish that infill t3 was cheaper would be perfect.

If you allready have a high end system ( like I do ) then you should have at least one aux input. Just go from your computer into that and run the sound through your existing system. That is what I am doing, if that helps at all, that way volume can be controlled as normal pretty much.

Comment

Also I don't know how good you are with fiberglass but I have made a few ( one for myself and 2 for friends ) pods that hold a monitor that fit nice and flush on top of that surfboard shape indent on the passenger side of the dash and between the windshield, looks pretty clean and very original, you might want to try that.

Comment

well thanks for replying but one, i dont have a touchscreen flip out, i dunno if itll work anyways but i dont have it. second i want my surfboard free. im still lost if i should do this, i love the interface for the computer but i dunno if its good enough for my amps. cuz i know aftermarket stereo has options for the amp and everything, can i do that with a computer?

Comment

I don't really know bro, I guess it would depend on your sound card. I know some can run like dolby 5.1 so I would assume you could go that route and have one with seperate line outs for your highs lows ad sub etc. Anyway you look at it bro you will need a capable screen and some sort of device to navigate around while in the computer weather it be a touchscreen or wireless mouse or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jakl27

i noticed all the screens have buttons on the bottom, if i were to do this in my car , is there a screen without buttons?

i want my carpc to perform just like an aftermarket radio but better with gps navi, and custom front-ends.

last thing i have steering wheel controls. can i use them on a carpc because that is a big deciding factor if ill make one.
            1.Check the finished projects section,you'll notice alot of monitors without the buttons.Drill a hole,extend the ir sensor wiring,put ir sensor in dash,hide button board somewhere behind dash.Use remote control for monitor.
            2.You want instant on,off like a standard head unit? Don't we all.
            Unfortunately,it's not going to work that way,as it's still a standard pc in a car that takes time to boot,shut down,and is subject to all the maladies a pc has.
            It's strength is that you can do any damn thing you want with a pc in your vehicle...you are only limited by your imagination,try that with a headunit.
            3.Yup,you can use your steering wheel controls,check the Input section.
            Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

thanks that helps alot, anywehere you recomend where i can get a full carpc thats well priced. seems like mp3car store is overpriced, i dunno since ive bought regular desktops not minis

Comment

If you're not comfortable building your own,the store's prices are pretty reasonable.
                This is more of a do it yourself hobby,and all the answers you need to build your own are in the forums,but,it does take time,effort,wrench throwing and a fair smattering of choice expletives to make it all work.
                On the other hand,if you'd rather not bother with all that,you can buy what you need from the store and pay an installer an ungodly amount of money to do it all for you.
                Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Working...
                X