512MB vs 1GB RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 512MB vs 1GB RAM

Would 1GB of ram, give me enough of a performance boost over 512MB to justify the cost?

I will be running m10k, nlited winxp... primary functions mp3 and gps. wifi when available. sometimes dvd's to show off but by no means a regular activity.

I noticed not many people run their m10ks with 1GB... Figured there must be a reason.
    B Smoov
    Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

1GB makes standby and hibernation much slower versus 512.

-arebelspy
    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

.. there is no real benefit from 1gb vs 512MB on the carpc anyway..
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

will you ever at one point have over 512 megs of apps loaded into memory? If the answer is no, then you really dont need it.

Comment

Not only but each stick of RAM is another precious 5 watts...
          www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

Well since the m10k only has 1slot i'd get 1 stick.

The standby/hibernation issue is the deciding factor to me... that makes a lot of sense.

well I dont get why standby would be an issue... in standby the computer just turns power off to everything but the memory and put the processor in a low-power state? no?

As for hibernation, a 1gb file would be written to the disk then have to be reloaded into RAM upon boot.

Either way I will go with the 512mb.

thanks for the info.
            B Smoov

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

Yeah I'm not positive on the standby, other than it does take time to go into standby because it loads some stuff into the RAM that was running off the disk and then shuts off the disk (versus loading everything off of it for hibernate) - it mainly affects hibernate but I've heard it can affect standby too. Anyways, 512MB is usually the recommended amount.

-arebelspy
              See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
              Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
              i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

I think i will go with 4MB of RAM.. I'll be able to hibernate in no time flat!
                B Smoov

Comment

Originally posted by buurin
                  I think i will go with 4MB of RAM.. I'll be able to hibernate in no time flat!
                  Yeap, just you won't be able to run a Front end, but I am sure you are joking.

You could probably get away with 256, but the difference in load times is about 3 or 4 seconds. I posted a while back some different boot times on my system with differing amounts of RAM. Perhaps you can search for it and see the difference.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Being pedantic for the hell of it, but you might just manage playing mp3s under DOS in 4Mb ram, but I reckon you'll be picking around the loft for suitable hardware these days. (A board which would accept only 4Mb ram )
                    www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

Working...
                    X