Do Via Board only boot USb1.0?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Via Board only boot USb1.0?

I read a thread that stated VIA boards boot USB, but only in 1.0 mode... This would KILL boot time.

I was wondering if this is true or do VIA boards actually boot in USB2.0 mode.

I would be getting the m10k.. but if a mii12k boots 2.0 then i'd upgrade.

Oh and the reason I am booting from a USB drive is that I dont want to spend the money on a 2.5" drive, and I am using the Ampie/VoomPC case which does not have room for a 3.5" HD.

I was thinking of doing a small 2.5" for the OS, and media/progs/etc on the external 3.5" but I want to keep power consumption low and not have to add yet another HD.

Thanks.
    B Smoov
    Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

anyone please? im trying to order before the weekend.

Thanks
    B Smoov

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

seriously dude just fork up the extra cash for the bigger storage laptop hdd. i doubt youll use more than 80 gigs in your car,. trust me. get it done right the first time and you wont have to spend extra money. try to power ur usb with an inverter and youll introduce noise into the system
      just my opinion.
      i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

I thought the boards above my via 800 all had usb 2.0 . I can almost guarantee the mII12000 and sp13000 do
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
          seriously dude just fork up the extra cash for the bigger storage laptop hdd. i doubt youll use more than 80 gigs in your car,. trust me. get it done right the first time and you wont have to spend extra money. try to power ur usb with an inverter and youll introduce noise into the system
          just my opinion.
          I wasnt going to use an inverter. I was going to hack the usb hd enclosure and power it direct from the PSU.

Not only did I want a cheaper drive but the 3.5" is 7200RPM.
          B Smoov

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
            I thought the boards above my via 800 all had usb 2.0 . I can almost guarantee the mII12000 and sp13000 do
            It has USB2.0 yes... but until the OS loads it only supports USB1.0. Meaning that it will boot up the entire OS with usb1.0 which would take forever.
            B Smoov

Comment

ah.. in that case yes all via boards are 1.0 OS excluded
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

USB booting from epia boards boot @ 1.0 until the OS is loaded. Depending on what OS you're choosing to use the boot time might not effect you as much as you think.

For example if you choose to nLite XP pro and enable EWF + minlogon your boot times will be around 30-45 seconds.

I currently use a SAN DISK extreme III CF card and my boot times are around 20-35.

extreme III specs 20MBps

The real problem here is that configuration of an nLite system along with enabling EWF & Minlogon can get a bit hairy and also very time consuming. Never mind the fact that booting from a USB device is nearly impossible and also will be time consuming.

By the way it sounds, I want to let you know you're embarking on a very ambitious project half way through or in the end you may decide that simply spending the extra 70.00 for a 2.5" drive might have been the better option.
                Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card
                Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

grrr.. alright i'm going to just get the 2.5" drive even though:

1) I wanted to be able to bring the drive indoors
                  2) I wanted 7200 rpm
                  3) I wanted 80GB for < $100

Thanks guys. The one good thing is that I wasnt too excited about hacking a HD enclosure to get power to the HD. I want this solution to pretty much be as plug-and-play as possible so just going with the 2.5" will save me some trouble.

Guess that means I need to buy a notebook HD -> IDE adapter now.. right?
                  http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=35
                  B Smoov

Comment

I think you've made the right decesion. I designed my system with solid state media in mind do to extreme temps in my location. I spent countless hours on nLite builds and tweaking to get my system working off a CF card.

My system is so irregular and complex I have to jump through leaps and bounds to just to get a new feature working properly. After I got the setup working last year during the extreme temp conditions I was originally concerned about my setup failed because of un-forseen issues including (Touchscreens simply don't work in below zero conditions, cpu fans and case fans needed for warmer conditions also run extremely rough or even seize in below zero conditions finally the EPIA's will not boot below a certian temp regardless of what device your OS is stored on)

My setup is definatly more solid than it was booting from a mechanical drive and boots under extreme conditions which was a benefit of all my hardwork. The cool factor is defaintly up there but if I had to go back I'd probably (keep it simple) and stuck with something simplier
                    Via EPIA MII
                    512MB RAM
                    OEM GPS (embedded)
                    nLite WinXP pro on
                    1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Not trying to muddy the waters or anything but...

Depending on if ur case has a spare 5.25" drive bay what about fitting a caddy for a 3.5" drive? U can have ur speed and just one drive and you can take it out easily enough. Buy two and fit one to your home pc as a slave and you can just move it between the two. Just an idea. Depends on that drive bay and if you can give it the power.

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

I think he said he was going to use or is using the ampie case which doesn't have that ability...
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Yeh i was going with the ampie so i can fit the pc under my ford focus zx3 passenger seat.

i use the trunk a lot and dont want to run wires that far.

cool suggestion about using the caddy. that would be cool.
                          B Smoov

Comment

Yep, you're right. He did. Sorry, I never noticed that bit Scanned the thread quickly while I'm converting some AVIs

I've done this before tho:- Run the ide cable out of the case and have an external IDE caddy! It works. I've done it with a small cased desktop PC (please don't ask why my mate wanted that setup.......... lmao)

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

Originally posted by WhoIsThisGuy?
                              Yep, you're right. He did. Sorry, I never noticed that bit Scanned the thread quickly while I'm converting some AVIs

I've done this before tho:- Run the ide cable out of the case and have an external IDE caddy! It works. I've done it with a small cased desktop PC (please don't ask why my mate wanted that setup.......... lmao)

yeah thats a bit too ugly for me. i dont like hacking stuff together.
                              B Smoov

Comment

Working...
                              X