Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last minute questions

Hey guys.

Well i have read and read and read and even fallen asleep at the pc reading over this site. I am now in the process of installing my own car pc.

What im running:

AMD 2600+
    Gigabyte tech motherboard
    512 DDR RAM
    350 watt psu
    tiny atx case

Now for the questions....

1- would i be better off with a laptop hard drive or normal pc one?
    I am worried about the movement. Most people here seem to have no trouble but i want to be safe

2 - the 350 watt psu runs my pc fine... What size Invertor do you suggest?
    I was looking at 400 watt one but should i go larger???

3 - has anyone had any troubles with the ddr ram??
    One guy from a pc shop here says bad idea to go ddr ram in the car and rather sd ram...

I am running the pc from the standard battery by an invertor with a switch before the invertor so as it dosnt drain the battery when its not on. the rest of my set up is pretty well the same as most people here.

Last question..

HAVE I MISSED ANYTHING????

Apart from the invertor and hard drive I am ready to install. So if i have missed anything important let me know before i install...

Thanks guys

Originally posted by siriusanger
    Hey guys.

Well i have read and read and read and even fallen asleep at the pc reading over this site. I am now in the process of installing my own car pc.

What im running:

AMD 2600+
    Gigabyte tech motherboard
    512 DDR RAM
    350 watt psu
    tiny atx case

Now for the questions....

I am worried about the movement. Most people here seem to have no trouble but i want to be safe

2 - the 350 watt psu runs my pc fine... What size Invertor do you suggest?
    I was looking at 400 watt one but should i go larger???

One guy from a pc shop here says bad idea to go ddr ram in the car and rather sd ram...

I am running the pc from the standard battery by an invertor with a switch before the invertor so as it dosnt drain the battery when its not on. the rest of my set up is pretty well the same as most people here.

Last question..

Apart from the invertor and hard drive I am ready to install. So if i have missed anything important let me know before i install...

Thanks guys
    Welcome to the forums and the never ending hobby.....
    1.I use a 3.5 drive,and have never had a problem,they're cheaper and faster as well.Since it looks like you have some relatively fast equipment,do you want a slower more expensive drive?
    If you really want a 2.5 drive to assauge your worries by all means buy one.

2.If I were to go with an inverter,I'd get a pure sine wave model as they are less likely to induce noise into your audio system.
    Inverter efficiency isn't the greatest,so with your setup I'd go with at least a 700 watt setup.You can never go wrong with having more power than you need,but,you'll regret not buying enough.

3.DDR will work just fine.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by siriusanger
      I had one 3.5 drive fail when I ran my first setup a while ago. It happened after a large bump in the road (more like a canyon to be honest). I replaced it with a 2.5 but that was cos I had one lying around. Not had any problems so far, but whos to say that the 2.5 would have survived the bump either? And I don't want to try and recreate it to test it out Bear in mind they need less power, run cooler and are built to take a bit more shock. But yes, they are slower and more expensive to replace if they do die...

thats a new one, but some people will say anything for a sale. Was he waving sd ram sticks round trying to sell you some at the same time as telling you this? He probably just had a bunch of sticks he needed to shift. Or he jsut wanted to sound like he knew what he was talking about. Plenty of them types in PC World over here.... lmao

Last question..

Thanks guys
      Umm.... i'm guessing you've got this covered but... screen? input device? Otherwise, looks like u'll have a killer system there! But as the wise seanshine says, choose your invertor wisely!!

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

Working...
      X