Grand Am 2001

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Am 2001

ok i'm new to this, but i'm a quick learner. i've been reading over these fourms and trying to get a feel for what i want to do with my new car.

first, i want to say that i was looking for the specs on the stock amp when i found this place.

second, i want to say that the car i bought had a completly trashed sound system (4 blown speakers and a blown head unit)

I like some of the custom fixed LCD screens that have bene posted on the fourm.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48225

i have a toshiba laptop that i was thinking to use for system. at least to start. i personaly think laptop might be one of the best routes to go. since you cna set it to hibernate apon power lost. and can wake when it regains power. heating cna some what be an issue, but from what i've seen as long as the air has some where to go, it should be ok. (i'm using should cuase i'd like to hear feed back from people who've done it.)

i do have some questions which i figure i cna find around the fourms. but i was going to ask them here anyway.

1) custom dash molding. and trim. i have a piece trim that covers the radio, and A/c controls. the radio is about a deck and a half in hieght. ( yes i do have the monsoon system, however i have a computer box that will start the amp.) how would i go about obtaining, or making a new piece of trim that could support a dual deck?

2) most of there Lcds, are they USB, or DVT?

3) are there any types of touch screens i should stay away from?

4) does anyone have specs of on the monsoon amp? i'm planing to buy some speakers however i want to know what the amp can push.

5) this sorta goes with number 3. in the top corner of my dash i have a section thats peeling up. is there any sort of repair kits, or re-molding kits that could help me stick it back down? or would i be better off just buying a new dash?
    Just cuase I ask questions, doesn't mean I stop looking for an answer.

Grand AM GT
    Plans:
    7" touch screen
    1.3 ghz laptop (win XP)
    replacing the stock sound.
    red ground effects
    wireless keyboard, mouse and remote.
    GPS,Bluetooth,Wi-FI,FM tuner.

(1)

1. Cut and mold the piece yourself. Take the piece out and get to it.

2. The LCDS are usually vga around these parts. The Touchscreen controllers on these are usb

3. Stick to the mp3car.com or digitalww.com stores. Dont buy a cheap screen from ebay or anything unless its the same brand as one on here

4. No

5. Probably. Look for some automotive interior epoxy or something i donno anymore............

Comment

firs toff thanks for the reply

the epoxy i'm going to look into today at pepboys and see if they have anything that looks like it'll work. i've had a few other people say that they think thats the route to go, but i always like to check before i do somthing that could cost me more money in the long run.

as far as the molding. i've been looking on-line and around the fourms. i firugre i'll need to by a spare peice of trim, and work off of the that (since this is looking to be a 6 month project) and this might be a completly newbie thing to ask, but does anyone know where an FAQ or somthing that tells you how to do custom molding. IE, the tools required, and what sorta stuff i need to use to shape the trim. i have dermal tool and i understand that i can get a carbon fiber trim kit to cover after it's molded.

i'm looking at the 7" fixed touch screens and to keep the car low profile.

i way also looking at ground effects and tring to hook them to a switch thats controled by the computer. i've done this before with my brother using a serial port, and a desk lamp. (either that or running them thought the fog light switch).

any help on this would be great.

Grand AM GT
      Plans:
      7" touch screen
      1.3 ghz laptop (win XP)
      red ground effects

Comment

grand am with ground effects..............

I dont believe there is a faq on fabrication but there are a few walk throughs in the fabrication forums.

Also check the show off your projects and worklogs.
        Alot of people these days post every little thing they do including there whole dash molding procedure.

Give those a go

Comment

thanks for the tip, i'll give it a look when i get home from work.

(whats wronge with ground effects on a gand am ?

Grand AM GT
          Plans:
          7" touch screen
          1.3 ghz laptop (win XP)
          red ground effects

Comment

at least your proud about it

Comment

Well, i'm finally back on this project, all i need is about $600 to get it off the ground. From what i've seen my Steps look to be the following.

1) replace my back speakers (current ones are blown)

2) get a 7" (OPPS I mena 7 not 17) display, i found a mod that will help me fit it in dash. (still working out the powering solution)

4) sounder blater 5.1 for my laptop. run wires up to where my current Head unit is, and use the speaker for the head unit. (reasons being, i'm lazy, And the Monsoon Amp need a computer box that turns on the AMp thats current installed on the front right speaker input. so instead of rewiring it all)

5) extrend a 12 volt DC line to my trunk for my power inverter.

6) mount my laptop, with a On lost of power stand by mode options. (3 usb out puts)

7) run USB cables to the front, from wireless keyboard and mouse, and touch screen.

Later

8)use a USB spliter for GPS, and Bluetooth connections. (if the laptop will support that many usb devices.)

does anyone for see an issue with any of this?

Grand AM GT
              Plans:
              7" touch screen
              1.3 ghz laptop (win XP)
              red ground effects

Comment

well i think i found my display power source... if it'll work...

Idea.

Get an OPUS 80 watt mount in a wood framedbox, 1/3 of room around the board,(with feet to keep it off the bottom for the box), 2 fans on the DC out-put on intake, one exust. mount the box in the passanger set floor board, and use the 12 volt wiring for the current radio. the current wiring is supporting a 200 watt radio, i'm hoping it can also support a 80 watt power supply. then Splice the DC monitor power cable to a PC DC power cable.

Thes is one last question i have before i take this topic off the Newbie tread and move it on. cigerete lighters, Is there a way to Splite a current one into Two? i was thinking of taking the Power from the front one, splicing the wires and run on to the front one, and a the other set to the rear to power an inveter.

Or Would it be better just to Run wires off the battery, if thats the case how would i set it for power on IGN. switch so it's not sitting around draining my battery.

Grand AM GT
                Plans:
                7" touch screen
                1.3 ghz laptop (win XP)
                red ground effects

Comment

me again!

for powering your laptop get a car power block and cut off the cig litter thing and hardwire it in

but you are probably gonna need an inverter anyway for the lcd so.... its up to you

just buy a good inverter ( i think the term is true noise or something... look around)

Comment

somthing like this? http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

How would i wire it to the IGN switch? is there a 12 out put from there? and how much of a load can i pull off it? i don't want to go melting wires.

( i was reading over what you replyed, and when i say the "you'll probably need a power invter anyway for hte lcd i was like ... o.O... then i looked, I mean 7" not 17" .... LOL 17" in a 2 door Grand AM... that would be Original!)

Grand AM GT
                    Plans:
                    7" touch screen
                    1.3 ghz laptop (win XP)
                    red ground effects

Comment

i would get a fused distro block. The power your going to use you wont have any wire melting problems. Just do 4 or larger wire from the batter to the ditro then 8 or larger to the computer. Make sure to fuse the wire AT the battery and its a good idea to do it at the block.

since your going 7 inch and not 17, just get the car power adapter for your laptop and cut of the cig lighter thingy and hard wire it.

to power your 7 inch screen think about getting a point of load power supply. They sell them here in the mp3car store. You dont HAVE to have one of these but you do want clean power going to your screen. I just burnt out a screen that wasnt powered properly so im going to recommend the point of load Power supply.

As for ignition switch... i dont know off the top of my head. I believe a few people have saudered Startup controllers onto the switch in the laptop. I think there might be a faq or something about this.

any other questions that i know im happy to answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X