Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier Signal Cable connection

Hi There,

I'm new to Carputing and am just planning my first install. I currently have a Sony head unit connected to a 6 Channel 100 watt/Channel amp but want to do away with the head unit - directly replacing with my carputer.

I think I've answered most of my connection questions by searching the FAQ's here but I still have 1 I can't seem to find an answer to;

My head unit currently has a Blue signal wire which tells the amp to turn on when it does, my question is how does this interface with the carputer?

Apologies if this is a simple question but I just can't source an answer and don't know any better yet ....

Any Help much appreciated

Originally posted by Pheebs'67
    My head unit currently has a Blue signal wire which tells the amp to turn on when it does, my question is how does this interface with the carputer?

Apologies if this is a simple question but I just can't source an answer and don't know any better yet ....

Any Help much appreciated
    Don't let others scare you, you gotta ask some questions!

Ok, you need to figure out either what the amp expects on this line. It's probably just the presence of 12V. If that's the case you can pull run a wire from one of your carPCs molex (hard drive/cdrom) power connectors. They usually have 4 wires, a 5V+, a 12V+, and two ground connectors. These will send the 12V signal to your amp when your car PC turns on.
    My worklog.
    Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

Have u decided what PSU to use for the pc yet? The M1-ATX psu has a connector for remote amplifier turn on. Connecting this should do the job, would it not kbyrd? I don't have experience of other PSUs tho...

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

Fantastic! You're a star! Just did a quick test to make sure (in the cold and dark with a torch in my mouth!) and it works a treat!

Think I'm good to go - time to place an order me thinks!

Incidentally, what do you think of the spec I've chosen?

12V DC-DC 90W ATX Power Supply
        LinITX 8" 4:3 VGA/Composite Monitor with Touchscreen
        VIA EPIA SP13000 Nehemiah Mainboard (or maybe a VIA EPIA M10000 Nehemiah Mainboard - Not 100% decided yet)
        40Gb (or possibly 60gb) 3.5" Maxtor Hard drive
        Dvd Rom drive
        512Mb Ram (Crucial)
        Windows XP (Home or Pro - I've got a spare copy of each from previous desktop builds)
        Europe Sat Nav bundle from www.directions.ltd.uk
        Power DVD
        Road Runner front end

Connected to my Amp > 2 6x9's, 2 component fronts and a 10" Sub.

My aim is to keep as much as possible out of sight as this is all going into my 1967 VW Beetle (cal look inspired) so I've yet to figure out how to keep the monitor accessible yet out of the way. My current HU is in the glove box but I've got a funny feeling the monitor will be too big ... My aim is to primarily replace my HU but gain the added functionality of Sat Nav and the option to watch DVD's .... I'm an avid Photographer too so having a CF adapter might prove useful ....

Whaddya think? Have I made any glaringly stupid choices?

Comment

Which one worked then? Do u have an M1 or did u do Kbyrds thang?

All your kit seems good. Epia M10k is a good bet for cost v performance (both my and the kbyrd use one!) but if u can afford the extra then more processing power is always good!

Not that keen on Directions Navigator - I use that at first but its a bit cumbersome. I'm using Destinator 3 now and I like that. I like it a lot. The 3D map is pretty cool for showing off - I feel like Michael Knight

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

Originally Posted by; WhoIsThisGuy?

Which one worked then? Do u have an M1 or did u do Kbyrds thang?
            I connected the Signal wire to a constant 12V +ive connection just to test kbyrd's theory and this is great!

Will have a think about navigator software - I'm gonna get all the hardware together first and worry about addins later ....

Thanks again for your help

Cliff

Comment

only problem with that depending on your sound card / amp setup you might get speaker POP Search the forums for AMP-CTRL its a service that starts up with windows and it shorts two pins on the com port. You then wire that to your amp so that when it starts up it turns on the amp. I still got speaker pop when it shutoff becuase the amps stayed on all the way tell the computer was off so I made it so that when I lose accessory (key) then using a relay cut's the wire to the amp. My car is setup cool though to where I can have the key out and the acessory still goes until I open the door.

have fun

2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Maybe I'm being blonde but ...

Hi mbkowns - I did a search for AMP-CTRL but all I find is your Mustang thread which, unless I'm missing something, doesn't direct you to AMP-CTRL service ...
                Can you point me in the right direction?

Nice Car BTW! Very Sweet install too!

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ws+service+dtr
                  2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Working...
                  X