X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad's vaio just magically fell upon me

Hey guys, brand new here.

I jsut got my dad's sony vaio because he thought it was broken (didn't have the wireless switch turned to "on")

But anyways, I was going to plan on fixing my old laptop and making a carputer with that. But now I dont' need to. I have a 2005 ford focus with a sub in my car right now, and for Christmas I'm going to be getting a 4 channel amp, 7" lilliput, and a usb 24bit creative soundcard, i was just wondering if that would be all i need? I also have a car thing... uhh... car charger for this laptop. Mostly I want this for music and gps, I have the wardriving set up already there since I used to do that.

well, i mine as well say it before anyone else does

check out the FAQ section as well.

to answer your question, yes, you'll need all 3 of the things listed, but if you're going to be putting a computer in (not a laptop), you'll need a power source. Start reading up on DC-DC power supplies, the Opus is a popular one among members here. And, of course, you'll need a GPS reciever if you don't already have one. That takes care of the basic hardware you'll need (unless i overlooked something..)
    Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
    macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
    14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
    Completly custom computer case

Comment

haha how cute a noob tellin a fellow noob to search

Comment

Rocky isn't a noob, that was a helpful post. Maybe a newbie (in terms of posts), but not a noob..

for the difference djx, ya noob.

-arebelspy
        See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
        Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
        i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

they are newbies not noobs you dildo!

Comment

Dont you have sound on the laptop?

DO you think the creative will sound better than whats built in?

After all you will mostly play mp3, and the bandwidth on a built in sound is just as good as mp3 needs, its like buying a 3000 quid hifi, to play an old scratched vinyl of Abba

Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

It's all relative.
              Old Systems retired due to new car
              New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I wouldnt bother with the usb soundcard to be honest, you will increase your chances of getting ground loop noise and to be honest the soundcard in the viao will be fine. First try the laptop sound, if your not impressed with it, then go get a usb one. Get a DC-DC psu for the sony and you will need some form of controlling it to power on / off. have a search as mentioned above :-)

CdR
                Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

Well... first off.. is that all you people know of doing is saying "search!!!!"... because i've already searched.. i've been reading for a month or two now on this. Oh.. and for the original reply, it's a laptop... already have a gps.. obviously...

Thank you for the useful replies, those of you who did.. I will at first try the built in sound, but don't worry everyone!!!!! i'll search before i ask how to hook up x.1... no need to get flamed by asking questions...

But sometimes i realyl begin to think all you people know to do is tell someone to search... lmao... that's always the first reply "search you little dip**** or get no help" whatever mate. cheers

Comment

I just reread your original post. If you had indeed "been reading for a month or two now on this" you wouldn't have made that post. Heck, 20 minutes of skimming would have helped, and a solid hour of reading in the FAQ forums would set you up.

-arebelspy
                    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
                    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

Hah. no. I was just reassuring myself that's all i'd need...

Comment

Originally posted by n0irsmurf
                        Well... first off.. is that all you people know of doing is saying "search!!!!"... because i've already searched.. i've been reading for a month or two now on this. Oh.. and for the original reply, it's a laptop... already have a gps.. obviously...

Thank you for the useful replies, those of you who did.. I will at first try the built in sound, but don't worry everyone!!!!! i'll search before i ask how to hook up x.1... no need to get flamed by asking questions...

But sometimes i realyl begin to think all you people know to do is tell someone to search... lmao... that's always the first reply "search you little dip**** or get no help" whatever mate. cheers

The only questions that people reply with 'go search' are the ones that get asked over and over again, and can EASILY be answered with a simple search, and some time spent in the FAQ forum like arebelspy said.

If you've been reading for a month or two, you should know that:
                        You need a screen
                        Depending on your setup, you may want an amp
                        You need some type of sound output device (intergrated sound, USB sound card, pci sound card)

Really, what did you need to be reassured about? Theres thousands of threads that you could have read that would "reassure" your question.

No one is saying not to ask questions, but first search. It only takes 10 seconds, and it'll keep the forum from being cluttered with "do I need an LCD screen?"

So go search before you ask how to hook up x.1 sound..as a matter of fact, take a look in the FAQ section, cause there's a thread already covering that topic.
                        Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
                        macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
                        14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
                        Completly custom computer case

Comment

How many times this damn subject is going to pop up :

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64211

Bugbyte lock the thread please.

Comment

Yeah, we've had a rash of these lately. I think the question was answered. No need to move on to name calling....again.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                            X