How Does This Sound? (Part 2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does This Sound? (Part 2)

After getting tons of advice from Bugbyte, kbyrd, and a few other members this is the system I have put together. I've researched and searched on here and this seems like a pretty good set-up. I just want someone else to look over to make sure I didn't miss any of the specs.

Monitor: Lilliput 7" (mp3car.com)
    Motherboard: VIA EPIA M10000 (mp3car.com)
    Power Supply: M1-ATX (mp3car.com)
    CD/DVD ROM: http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id/470
    Hard Drive: Fujitsu 60 GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822153015
    Memory: AllComponents 512 MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820159407
    Case: Morex 3688

I know the Morex already comes with a power supply but if I used that I'd have to pick up a Carnetix adapter and the cost of that opposed to the M1-ATX isn't much.

So what do you guys think? Sound pretty good, would you change anything? I couldn't find a larger harddrive for any cheaper either thats why I went with that one.

Thanks in Advance,
    kbkid

why that case? Also is it possible to use both power supplies so the computer could double as a media center in the house or somehing like that? What is your total budget now with this set up?

Comment

Why not that case? I have not even the slightly clue about doubling up on the power supplies.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by kbkid
          Why not that case? I have not even the slightly clue about doubling up on the power supplies.
          No idea why not that case. I use the same one myself its fine.

And as for doubling up PSUs afaik u can't have 2 power supplies connected at the same time. I have heard of people using M1s in the house have a and see what u turn up. But tbh, why bother once u've set everything up anyway? Use ur main rig as a media centre if u really want a media centre and just sync the two. Personally, I wouldn't want to move my pc back and forth between the car and house as itd be a fair few cables to unplug, plus adding different hardware in the house would potentially screw the drivers when it goes back in the car and the whole system would be less integrated in the car environment. Just to play media that I already have on another machine in my house seems a bit much imho.

Laterz.

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

WhoIsThisGuy? Do you have any regrets about your system. Is everything pretty tight inside that case? The reason I ask is because I've read people having a hard time squeezing things in there. Also you have pretty much the same system I'm going to be installing and I didnt know if you had any tips or anything about it?

kbkid

Comment

Sorry its taken a few days to reply - i've been away from home over the last week and only had internet access very rarely (didn't have my car with my pc u see! )

Anyways....

I've no regrets so far. Ive been running the system in a not particularly integrated state (ie screen just attached to the dash, cables running through the cabin to the boot, running sound through the headunit) for a while now to make sure i was reasonably happy with it. And I am, so I've recently begun the process of building into the car properly (screen fabricated into the center console, cable under carpets, and fitting a bloody big amplifier to ditch the headunit). Once this is done, if I do have any problems I'll firstly use VNC to remote control it from my main rig in the house to try and rectify it. Then only if necessary, I'lll remove the M1 and fit the other PSU for the short period it will be out of the car in my house while it gets fixed as the main pc unit will be removable, but I don't see this being necessary very often - its just a backup solution. Everything seems to be running sweet and I am happy (maybe VERY happy when CF gets its M10K bugs fixed )

People who have "a hard time squeezing things in there" must have gigantism or something, cos I have big clumsy hands and didnt have any problems building my system. If this is due to experience, maybe, but not due to size of the case surely. Things in the case are a little bit tight I suppose, but thats part of the challenge of using small systems, but its not a problem - it just means less wasted space. I've not had any overheating problems or anything like that. And once u have everything in and set up right, its not like I'll be diggin around in the pc every other day (not like with my desktop system). No real tips to give tho - other than take ur time and double check everything. If u want a bit more info on the case http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/3688/ and u'll see a built up system. As u'll see, its not THAT tight. Just compact

If u have anything I can help with, then either post or PM. Happy to help.

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

Working...
              X